Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:39:01 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Project Work Logs  |  Topic: Thinking Northstar Conversion? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thinking Northstar Conversion?  (Read 100368 times)
FieroDough
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2004, 04:04:20 pm »

Battery Tray:

The headlight and motor assembly were removed the size of the hole calculated then cut out.  The battery tray was bent up on a brake press, then brackets were added to the tray so the battery could be fastened to it.  The tray was then bolted into its new location and cables run.  The depth of the tray was carefully calculated so that the support for the front facia could be simply modified.

Aaron

CAN YOU MAKE ME ONE??? that is the most beautifull thing I have seen in a long time!!! Wow! that looks like it was purchased at GM when the Fiero was in production. I love it!

How much???
BootMachine
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2004, 02:45:28 pm »

Boot;

My car is running but the computer still needs to be tuned.  I’m waiting until the spring to give it a good run somewhere so that I can tune up the fuel tables.

The exhaust is being routed now, after which all that is left is proper routing for the air intake.  I have a temporary setup for the air intake now, but I’d like to route it into the original Fiero location in order to catch some colder air.

Although this is all that’s left for the Northstar conversion, I’m not even close to being done with my car.

At some time as well I’m going to gain another 50 to 80 hp by putting new cams and valve springs in.

I expect to be running low 12’s with my power to weight ratio, so your buddy with the 15 second yawner better have some good excuses ready.  Dan also should be running in the high 12’s or low 13’s as well as Brian in the spring.

I’m not sure why your buddy thinks his car is so fast since there are many Honda’s in Ottawa on the bottle.  Any one of them should be able to make short work of a 15 second car.

Aaron

SWEET!

Let me know when the valve train gets done. I will bring some tools and lend a hand. I wanna see inside your engine!!!

Also....my "BUDDY" thinks his car is so fast because 1) hes a friggn idiot and 2) he has never had his ass handed to him before. Funny....cause if you race him he will get his ass shot at him not just handed!

So you think you will be running 12's eh! Well...if you can figure out a way to keep the car from flipping over and over from the torque just from reving the engine yeah you might have a chance at 12's. Once that problem is solved you can start working on a way to keep the car from lifting off and/or bursting into flame with no warning just because you have way too much engine! "Yeah I have a Northstar engine in there....YEP....I just" ...!!BOOM!! *car bursts into flame* "yeah it does that from time to time.....too much power"

I hope you have a small fortune saved up for tires....!  Wink

......gonna be sick....simply sick.....dont forget to invite me to the trial run....Call it "D" day for "Do or Die Day".
a.k.a
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2004, 01:35:48 pm »

Aaron, when is the unvieling? Boot, DaMund, and I really really wanna hear this beast!
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2004, 02:32:03 pm »

If you really want to hear it, I'll be woring on the exhaust this comming Tuesday night (24th Feb).  Boot can use the lathe, and you can pick up your computer.

Anyone can come.

Aaron

« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 02:33:18 pm by aaron88 » Logged

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
a.k.a
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2004, 03:25:30 pm »

If you really want to hear it, I'll be woring on the exhaust this comming Tuesday night (24th Feb).  Boot can use the lathe, and you can pick up your computer.

Anyone can come.

Aaron

saweet...I will book the time off werk! w00t!
hellfish87gt
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2004, 09:52:35 am »

aaron did you recieve my checque in the mail.? hoping ya did, and the mounts work great. i just finished test fitting so, i'll dis assemble and take detailed pics in the next few days
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2004, 12:21:40 pm »

All is well.

I’m glad to hear that the mounts work out well.  After all I was only taking an educated guess on the difference in mounting an 87 vs an 88.  Now I can take off the excess material on my templates and be sure of the fit.

Have you done a complete pre-fit, to see how everything in the engine bay clears?

Can’t wait to see those pics.

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
Gizmo
FORUM MASTER
Moving UP!

« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2004, 01:44:50 pm »

What time will you be there till (tomorrow), may drop by on my way home from work...
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2004, 02:44:35 pm »

I’ll be at work basically until midnight, or so.

If you come into the front parking lot check the inset front door (to the left), I will leave it ajar.  Just come in and look for the noise, or give a halloo.  If I’m out to get something to eat or something there will be a note on the door with an ETA.

Aaron

hellfish87gt
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2004, 07:37:26 pm »

the mounts did need a minor bit of grinding for clearance on the front thicker mount, other than that, they are in i'll have pics wiht in the week i hope, i'm waiting for my alum, cradle mounts to be finished. it helps having and engineer with a lathe on your side. and then just the flywheel. by the way where di you get your flywheel,
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2004, 10:36:56 am »

Did you read this thread?  Lol

I got my flywheel from CHRFab, it wasn’t quite the right fit.  I had to shave off 4mm from the face and 2mm from the back so that there wouldn’t be any future problems.  Alan told me that he would notify his manufacture so that there wouldn’t be a problem for future Fiero applications.

Aaron

a.k.a
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2004, 12:53:45 pm »

aaron88,

Boot and I will be dere shortly after 8pm...he has Tae Kwan Do until 730
hellfish87gt
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2004, 02:12:47 pm »

me done reed so gooder.
hahhaa i forgot you posted where you got it :p
BootMachine
« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2004, 01:46:58 pm »

Went to the shop last night. Checked out the northstar engine...WOW....Aaron does NICE work.

The engine sounded healthy but the computer had a few problems calculating the AF mix. Prob cause 1/2 the sensors are still unpluged but whatever.....tuning will come after!

We helped install the exhaust system last night. Lotsa bends, lotsa work on Aarons part but his patients is stronger than the steel he plays with.....He welded it up and it sounded pretty good. We trimmed the pipes so he can throw some nice tips on and then we got sleepy and left at midnight while Aaron was installing the exhaust hangers!

Everything looked REALLY good, engine sounded healthy, shop was cool as hell and I cant wait until I get to ride shotgun while Aaron winds up that V8!

Oh yeah..Gizmo (I think) showed up also....WADDUP man! Hope to see you all again and maybe meet more of the Fiero club!

LA
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2004, 03:46:03 pm »

Thanks;

The only sensor the computer can see that isn’t plugged in is the manifold air temperature sensor, and it’s plugged in, it’s just not in the intake.  All the sensors that still need to be added are the ones to run my gauges.  No biggie.  The motor is running too lean though, I’ll deal with that as soon as I get that laptop.

Thanks for the help guys, Mark and Boot left before I could really get their hands dirty, but Nick helped me with a few of the brackets.  I like your thought process by the way Nick, you can help me any day.

I’ll post some pictures as soon as I have time.

As for the sound, I’m very pleased with it.  I chose a muffler that had very low flow restriction but was a little worried that it was going to be too loud.  As it turns out it’s very quiet, just a property of the geometry I guess.  Can anyone say sleeper?

Aaron

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19 Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Project Work Logs  |  Topic: Thinking Northstar Conversion? « previous next »
Jump to: