Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 09:10:33 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Buy/Sell/Trade  |  Parts  |  Topic: Turbo fiero? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Turbo fiero?  (Read 2501 times)
Lastasummer
« on: August 02, 2005, 03:53:41 pm »

Im looking to buy a turbo for my fiero... would this be hard to do? and would i have to modify it a bunch? could i use a turbo off another car? if so, which ones? thanx
fiero308
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 04:45:40 pm »

well a couple of questions........
what fiero/engine do you have and

where would you rate your:
mechanical ability
fabricating ability
electronics knowledge
Huh
you would need all of that OR

get a shop to do it in which case it is pretty easy.
where are you located?
Lastasummer
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 07:38:28 pm »

my dad has the mechanical know-how as well as the fabrication skills but i just help i have an 86 gt 2.8. im near ottawa, willing to do wutever...as long as its cheap
fiero308
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 01:03:07 am »

LOL!!!  Grin Wink
Captain ERASER strikes again! Nick is my HE-ro!!  hahaha......... Afro

and now........back to our regularly scheduled programming.....
chuckle chuckle.........
that was funny.........
hey, Mr Gizmo.........do you think you can ALSO get rid of those requests for assistance from all those poor blokes in africa, who. despite having millions of unwanted dollars has to resort to pleading with strangers to take if off their hands?
Huh whaddya think?

anyway: Turbo:
what are your intents? How much boost do you think you want to run?  How much or little is "cheap"?  You very likely will be into 2500 or more; that is cheap. 
Are you ready to blow up your engine if it already has a lot of mileage on it?  (It happens....)
 It would be a good idea to read up on these turbo things; it is tougher to put a turbo on a fiero a bit as it is NOT easy to access air for a conventional intercooler (mid engine...) so you either find a way around it ($$) or run low low boost and have some safeguards anyway. (knock sensor, timing control etc)

a few comments for you......
2ML67
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 10:30:08 am »

Would most likely be cheaper and easier in the long run to just do a 3800SC swap unless you are hooked on turbo and against super chargers. This way you get a low mileage drive train that is a lot better on fuel and emissions with the capability of being made alot more powerfull if desired. Dan
fiero308
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 10:37:42 am »

good advice......
one of the first things that turbo books and people say is "don't turbo an engine (car) that isn't made for it".........

(that is why my comment about blowing up the engine.......) 

your horsepower goals/targets should help you decide how much you want to spend.  And yes, the ricer guys are throwing turbos on all sorts of things, but a lot of the time they DO go thru a pretty good rebuild, or they just accept that eventually their engine will pack it in. It isn't really the boost alone, it is the boost (cylinder pressure) combined with pre-ignition and detonation that is the baddie here.

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 01:53:17 pm »

It would be a good idea to read up on these turbo things...

Ditto.  I haven't read this myself, but it comes highly recommended and is first on my "to get" list should I decide to take on a turbo project: Corky Bell's Maximum Boost.  If this book is everything I'm told that it is, it's a small investment which has the potential to save you both dollars and headaches in the long run.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
GoFast88
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 08:07:50 am »

first on my "to get" list should I decide to take on a turbo project: Corky Bell's Maximum Boost.  If this book is everything I'm told that it is, it's a small investment which has the potential to save you both dollars and headaches in the long run.

For you typical Fiero types  Afro ,  3 copies are available at the Ottawa Library. (its free!)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Buy/Sell/Trade  |  Parts  |  Topic: Turbo fiero? « previous next »
Jump to: