Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 07:18:25 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Roger Doger, that's a big 10-4 « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Roger Doger, that's a big 10-4  (Read 1796 times)
Sentinel
Returns to active lurker status
Ottawa Fiero Member
MASTER FIERO

Wrapped in Horsepower, Driving into Fury......

« on: February 11, 2003, 01:50:23 pm »

still beyond me why trucks ever talked like that but whatever, I had a thought, one among many useless ones, and though I would share. My thought was it would be good to have some FRS radio's for cruises and such, also heading down to MI, and any other road trips, that way (I thought 3 or 4 would be good) lead man and rear man(more of a leg man myself) could each have one and communicate with each other to ensure no one gets lost. I see them at future shop for $30-$100 a pair, something with 3km range should be suffice, any thoughts, who'd be in for chipping in some dough, I'll cover half the cost, or maybe Eric can hook us up with free Rogers service?Huh  Wink

We drive so fast , it seems as though , we take into the sky, the Fiero Machines in Harmony , Hear the Engines Cry
Boy-z
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2003, 02:05:49 pm »

just wondering what are you taking down there.have you ggot your car running or for sure will it be up and running. I will tell you what make me an offer.
FieroDough
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2003, 02:34:27 pm »

a good 2 way is a great idea. if it wasn't for the ugly whip, I would even recomend we have our own CB chanel. when you get close to another Fiero, call out on that chan. see if he is on. Smiley
FieroDough
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2003, 02:37:10 pm »

another cheap alternative.... Anyone have a source for dixie cups? and what is the best string to use?
FieroBUZZ
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2003, 03:00:26 pm »

I have a couple from Radio Shack.  I'll check to see what make and model.  If we get the same that would make 4.

Maybe they all use the same frequencies? Don't know, but sometimes other guys are on our sets.
Gary
Kevin
Ottawa Fiero Member
MASTER FIERO

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2003, 03:24:41 pm »

I remember the CB craze, everybody talked like that, my Father would be up all night yacking away on his base station. Ever listen to the trucks, they talk like that still, they are fun to listen to, for a while.
  CBs can be had for not very much. Actually my favourite store Princess Auto sells both compact mobile and handy talkies for around fifty dollars. The H\T units are good because all you need is a cigarette adapter to run it all day and you can take it with you.
  The FRS radios as far as I know use the same frequencies, but some may include more freqs as you go up the model line. They are handy in that they are smaller and easier to use than the CBs. Correct me, but I don't think they have the range that a CB would.
  http://www.princessauto.com/PAcountry.cfm?CTRY=CAN&INF=home

« Last Edit: February 11, 2003, 03:31:55 pm by Tinker » Logged
Sentinel
Returns to active lurker status
Ottawa Fiero Member
MASTER FIERO

Wrapped in Horsepower, Driving into Fury......

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2003, 03:42:49 pm »

Karl, thumb and a lot of leg....
I'm buying Fiero Flyer's 84, 3.1
rebuilding the 2.5 over the summer.
You thinking of selling?

Gary, most are on the same frequemcy, done on a channel basis, I'm going to borrow a friend's and we can test with yours, let me know which model and I'll check specs

Eric as long as you get that high grade string, that cheap stuff sounds like shit

We drive so fast , it seems as though , we take into the sky, the Fiero Machines in Harmony , Hear the Engines Cry
Fieroflyer
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2003, 04:52:18 pm »

Actually the new two way radios you mostly work in the VHF band where CB's worked in the HF band where they are affected much more by man made noises but are capable of bouncing signals off the ionosphere for long range. Where VHF radios are line of sight and for shorter range but have a much cleaner sound and better unless you are travelling through mountains or really high hills and one is on each side you will lose each other's signal. Would definitely recomend VHF ones more privacy and cleaner sound. Just my opinion
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Roger Doger, that's a big 10-4 « previous next »
Jump to: