Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 01:30:26 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Raced B18c swap CRX and juice?? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Raced B18c swap CRX and juice??  (Read 1347 times)
Shaun41178
« on: January 31, 2004, 01:53:33 am »

Old beat up CRX.  Gutted to nothing, race seats, engine swap, red car with ugly black hood and a yellow front bumper and noticeable rust.  Basically looks like the bumper was from a diff colored car.  Not much matched.  Needless to say TOTAL SLEEPER!!  Talked with the guy in the parking lot and set it up.

he said he didnt' have the bottle on as he said it was empty and I told him I was looking forward to him running on the bottle.  He walked away to see if he could find someone else with one.  Drove up 5 minutes later and said he didnt' have it and would have to do it all motor.  I said sure.

So we roll out 5 mph rollon.  Take off same time and we are even through first,  bang second and we are even.   Approaching the top of second the light ahead turns yellow so I get off of it with us dead even and he goes through the light.  I am thinking that he thought I was going to go through too or something.  Either way i was pretty surprised.

Roll back into the parking lot and soem of my buddies said it looked like i was starting to pull slowly.  I was talkign with the kid with the CRX after the race and I heard his freinds saying that they thought that he was starting to pull on me.  Of course they might have seen it that way since they were down closer to the light where I started to slow and my freinds were about where I was halfway through second.  Driver of the CRX said it was about even which is what I said too as I was watching the road.

Either way I was shocked.  I am thinking he still sprayed even though he said he didnt' cause it seems to me that even a completely stripped CRX with a swap wouldnt' keep up.  But hey who am I to say.  I didnt' ask and he didnt' tell.

Oh yea, my mods.

stock 74k mile 2.8
Dual TB intake,
WCF shorty headers.
Pulley, and no cat.  Thats about it.  it runs pig rich cause of my 19# injectors so I need some tuning.  I shoot flames at will.  Anything over 3k rpm and I let off will shoot flames.  SAFC soon i hope.

Oh yea I was on the bottle during the race.  No idea what shot I am running.  60?  who knows.  Either way I am glad I used it during the race.  I would have been spanked without it!!!!

a.k.a
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 02:21:21 am »

moral of the story

DON'T TRUST HONDA DRIVERS

they always have something to prove...i e, when I had my Firebird, same kinda setup..

ME---"What you got?"
HIM---"STOCK"

ME---"Lets go"
HIM ---"after you"

BAM

spanked by an 88 civic vanagon on the bottle!

needless to say, I was pissed and instead of risking a ticket, or road rage, I moved on...

Anyone with any kind of link to the Japanese market ( esp. when they wanna race us domestics ) ALWAYS have something to hide / prove

I believe your story, and I think I know the rice burner you refer to..he was at darknites, in the back Wink

sigh, well V8 swap soon eh?
JAYGT
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004, 04:05:36 am »

i just sold both my civics and bought a fiero 87 gt.  just plain got bored after 3 years.  both had jdm prelude h22a swaps.  93coupe  did 12.9 109 bone stock with street tires at cayuga.    93hatch did 13.5 103 bone stock at cayuga stock tire.  that was the same day i put the engine in.  so a simple couple hour swap and i was doin mid 13's  in the hatch for under 4000$ engine plus mounts, everythin.    if a guy wants to race you in a civic be prepared to get raped.  you dont know what the guy has.  i hooked up a 100 shot on the coupe and was doin high 11's  bone stock prelude engine.
yes it was rusty and beat up.  yes i beat a viper.  yes i raped a ferrari testarossa.  mustangs and corvettes where evin funnyr. i raced in woodbride for about three years.  red civic with a black hood.
now you say how can a stock 2.2 engine in a civic do 12's?  well they are 200hp.   they come factory with worm gear lsd.  they rev to 85000rpm makin power right up to the cut off.  power band like a jet takin off.  the coupe weighed 1950 pounds.   hey im not stupid enough to try to race a heavy car.  about a 100 other little free or cheap mods and off ya go.

now i have a heavy fiero that evin with a 4.9 300hp v8 swap best times ever would be a 12.5 with spray.  as stated on these forums.  so ya i am sad and will miss the speed.
i know 11's is not the greatest but we all dont have alot of money to go faster.    looks like its goin to cost me 1000 bucks just to change all the tie rods and ball joints by myself. then struts and coils as the money comes. i am praying the rust doesnt make the car fall in half when i jack it up.
yes i will try to make it fast but i would never bet money against a civic. hell if i can throw a 2.2 in a civic in my driveway, with hand tools,  and beat a viper  i dont think my fiero is goin to have much chance.

just the point of view from the other side.  oh ya did i say  i love my fiero?
well i do.
JAYGT
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2004, 04:14:09 am »

for future refrence  these are average

89 crx with b16a sir engine.............14.5

89 crx with b18c type r engine........13.9

92-95 hatch with h22a engine........13.5

these are all rough averages and basically common times.    obviously a slick and spray make huge diff to these times.  gutting of weight  and lsd as well.

if its a newer civic or a coupe they are alot heavyr than these cars and will be slower.  
example my 93 civic coupe streetrace ready weighed 1950 pounds
a stock 99 integra type r weighs 2600 pounds.     so imagine putting 600 pounds in your car and then drag racing probly not that fast.  well now imagine taking 600 pounds out of your car?   ya  weight is almost everythin in this game.

did i say i love my fiero?

evin though i read the auto 87 fiero gt does low 17's in the quarter. oh well
ill work on it.
FieroDough
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 08:00:02 am »

"it runs pig rich cause of my 19# injectors so I need some tuning.  I shoot flames at will.  Anything over 3k rpm and I let off will shoot flames.  SAFC soon i hope."

There is your problem! 19# injectors are a little high for a 3.4 swap. The stock 2.8 is being drowned! more fuel does not mean more power if you don't need it. Tongue

I'm coming out this summer. I'll meet hime on the track. *lol* no spray. Wink

cheers!
Eric

Shaun41178
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 03:56:08 pm »

yea I know the injectors are too big.  I have them in there cause I am running an intake setup thats unproven as to how much extra air flow there is.  And I would rather be a tad rich then a tad lean when on the bottle.

Of course that means it runs rich all the time but I can live with that for the time being till I can get it tuned.

My old 85 Gt had stock injectors on it and i was running lean up top when on the bottle.  So I figure the stock injectors couldnt' take a freer flowing intake manifold and nitrous.  Like I said I would rather be rich then lean when on the bottle.  Might not make as much power but its safer.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Raced B18c swap CRX and juice?? « previous next »
Jump to: