Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 01:18:41 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Buy/Sell/Trade  |  Parts  |  Topic: Coolant Fan Switch compatability « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coolant Fan Switch compatability  (Read 2018 times)
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« on: September 10, 2004, 08:45:45 am »

It looks like the coolant fan switch on my 2.8 has given up.

I have a spare from an 88 Firebirdie 2.8 which physically fits, but I have no idea if the cut-in/cut-out temperatures are in the correct range.

The Fiero's fan switch (p/n 3040674) should cut in at about 110°C and cut out at about 105°C. Does anyone know what the cut-in & cut-out temperatures for p/n 3053247 are?

-d.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
2ML67
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 09:02:48 am »

Most engines use approximately the same temp ranges as its the same temps for them that are bad to reach. Myself I wire the fan at the relay so its on whenever the ignition is on. Do not trust the sensors plus by the time they come on its too late. Dan
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 09:41:02 am »

Do not trust the sensors plus by the time they come on its too late.

I have to contest that last comment...  when it works, the rad fan switch turns the fan on far in advance of too late.

Unless of course you're having trouble wiring up those L67's correctly.   Grin

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
Fiero_power
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 12:42:14 pm »

Most engines use approximately the same temp ranges as its the same temps for them that are bad to reach. Myself I wire the fan at the relay so its on whenever the ignition is on. Do not trust the sensors plus by the time they come on its too late. Dan

I just have a quick question...  My fan is not kicking in as well.  Did you run a toggle or is yours on all the time?  If it is on all the time, are you not worried about burning out your fan motor?

Joe
lacelles
Ottawa Fiero Member
Moving UP!

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 01:47:29 pm »

I was talking with a guy (27 years experience in mechanic) and he told me that on the fiero, the fan will kick in at aprox. 2 line before the red zone (temp gage).  I asked him that question because I though my fan was not working, but it was.

-- 1999 Buick Regal GS 3800SC - SOLD - Sad
-- 1987 Fiero GT 3800SC - SOLD - Sad
http://www.lacelle.ca
poupas
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 03:29:17 pm »

I have had my fan hardwired for years. Just a regular switch under the dash. Temp. goes up, I kick on the fan. (Which works great, thanks Dan)
Fiero_power
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 03:37:20 pm »

Mine used to kick on when it was about half way between 1/2 and 3/4, but now it'll run red hot if I get stuck in heavy traffic, as I realized trying to leave Montreal in roush hour. Sad
2ML67
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2004, 01:19:32 pm »

No problem with l67's wiring here they actually run nice and cool. Problems I had was with dukes they do not like heavy traffic on hot days unless fan is on all the time. Does not burn out the fans, I think its better than the fan never being used till the one time you really need it and find that its rusted and doesn't work or the sensor or relay to turn it on is no good. Dan
RGBaker
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2004, 08:43:09 am »

Here is a link to some data on the temperature standards for the cooling fan ...
http://www.fierofocus.com/articles/tt-clt_sens.html
My temperature gauge is slow to respond and under reports -- though it eventually moves into the operating range, and will eventually reveal high temps, it generally takes ten minutes or more to move to 'normal'.  A tap of the data sent to the ECM reveals that the temperature of the engine is behaving normally -- it is the gauge sensor that is out of whack.

Curiously, so too is the fan sensor apparently misbehaving ...  The fan will come on, either when the A/C is activated or when the gauge reads 'hot' -- but by the time the gauge reads hot the engine is in fact VERY hot!  So although my reading of the sensors is that the gauge sensor is not feeding the fan relay, somehow the relay responds at the same time as the gauge does, which is to say, too late.  So until I replace a couple of sensors, I'll use the A/C switch when in traffic and heading towards hot.

Cheers,
GB
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Buy/Sell/Trade  |  Parts  |  Topic: Coolant Fan Switch compatability « previous next »
Jump to: