Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 06:47:39 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Here's to rusty brackets. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Here's to rusty brackets.  (Read 994 times)
dimeadozen
Fiero Know-it-all

Mia: March 17, 2010- The Safety

« on: September 08, 2010, 12:03:11 pm »

So I fire up my car and drive off, then suddenly my car feels like its running on three cylinders...
I realise its got no power and almost stalls when stopped and in gear.
I pull over first chance i get and I pop the deck.
Looking around the engine I notice theelectric module that is bracketed just above the pully by the thermostat cap is gone.

Somehow the bracket just broke in half from rust and the wholemodule slipped into the pully and was getting bounced around.

It did a number on the wiring as some got stripped but none were destroyed thank god.

so I reattached the module and slipped the little vacuum hose back on but it still ran like death.

But the car still ran in limp mode.

Then I checked the fuse and replaced it cus i guess the damage had shorted out the computer.

Good to know the car can still run even though the computer shut down. Sucked alot of gas tho.

The car runs fine now but really needs a tune job.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 12:04:47 pm by dimeadozen » Logged

If I just spend a little more money...
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 10:05:13 am »

Can't say that I've ever seen a MAP sensor bracket fail before.  The plastic bits which attached the sensor to its bracket, yes, but not the bracket itself.

If the ECM fuse blew as a result it may take a bit of driving before it re-learns & everything smooths out.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
dimeadozen
Fiero Know-it-all

Mia: March 17, 2010- The Safety

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 11:58:26 am »

Yea Its getting better. When I started the car the next day it blew smoke thru my vents and i shut it off immediately. I think something else shorted out lol. I checked everythin out and it all seems fine.

i attributed these things to Gremlins.

Its running fine now

If I just spend a little more money...
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 11:15:07 am »

That's one of the problems with old cars.  Especially ones that sit half the year where mice can get at them.

It might be worth tearing down this winter to see what you can catch before it happens.

Good luck,

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Here's to rusty brackets. « previous next »
Jump to: