Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:14:14 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: 3800SC exhaust « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3800SC exhaust  (Read 1087 times)
2ML67
« on: November 25, 2006, 07:35:17 pm »

Working on an exhaust for another 3800SC swap and thought I would mod the stock manifold on the trunk side to exit pointing down more to allow for the exhaust to stay inside the cradle. I will be using a Mustang manifold on the other side so the exhaust will go under the engine in the stock location instead of under the throtle body. It is going to be close to the axle shaft shaft boot at the tranny end with only one inch clearance so I may have to wrap it or make a shield of some kind. It will be two 2 1/2" pipes meeting at a 3" going into the muffler then two 2 1/2" outlets to the tail pipes. Does any one see any problems with this set up. THanks Dan
2ML67
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 07:37:22 pm »

This is what the Mustang manifold looks like once it has been modified to fit the 3800 head. Dan
FieroBUZZ
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 09:35:08 pm »

As long as the axle has no restriction in it's up and down movement, it should be fine.  You can wrap the mani and pipe with header wrap to keep temps down in the area of the boot (or the whole system  for that matter). It would be easier than a metal shield of some sort.  If it's close to the block full wrapping may be best.  The downside is more rapid corrosion due to the dampness involved in heating cooling cycles of the exhaust system.

When I was considering the same type of pipe travel to get rid of the crossover, the only potential problem I heard of was a misreading from the o2 sensor.  That is if it was in 1 manifold or if the collector (your 3") is too far away from stock locations.

Does your S2 use a double set of O2 sensors?
2ML67
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 08:47:51 am »

I have a similar system on my car and I ended up using two O2 sensors one in the stock location and the second one in the other bank hooked up to an air/fuel ratio gauge so I can monitor it in case of trouble. On it I left the angle of the stock manifold alone and had a hard time running the rest of the exhaust so that is why I modified the angle of the manifold this time. Dan
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: 3800SC exhaust « previous next »
Jump to: