Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 07:39:58 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: 3800SC swap K&N filter « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3800SC swap K&N filter  (Read 2239 times)
2ML67
« on: August 20, 2005, 05:39:09 pm »

Got a real nice new K&N filter that fits nicely in the wheel well area its part # RF-1023. It has a 3.5" inlet flange angled 10 degrees that fits nicely on the 3.5" plastic piping I used to connect to the throttle body. So Brian if you like get your self one as it will clamp right in on your car.
Took her out for a drive and sounds real nice can really hear that super charger howl now. In combination with the piping I am using and putting filter into wheel well dropped my intake air temp over 20 deg C. The full dimensions can be found on www.knfilters.com Dan
fiero308
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 09:40:29 am »

wow; 20 deg drop? THAT is substantial. So a cone filter? And the whole bottom 'plate' is tilted or just the 'tube' that goes into it?

So it is made for a 3.5" intake tube, good size but I think I will have to find one for 3" (that is what all my tubing is  Wink ) and did you support the filter itself (somehow) or is it supported by the intake tube? Just wondering; I don't know how heavy these things are.

Good find, Dan; where did you get if you don't mind the $$ stuff......

This should be it; looks like the bottom inlet 'tube' is tilted a bit.......
Interesting that K&N has FIVE different 'PRE-filters' for this; one for dusty conditions nad the other 4 were to stop water entry. Doesn't say what the diff is between them.
2ML67
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 07:34:20 pm »

Basically got tired of the lousy design I was using so I ran the piping to where I wanted the filter then mocked up a card board piece that fit the way I wanted. Then took that to a local speed shop and spent a little time searching to find the right filter. This same filter with the angled flange also comes in 3" or even 4" if desired. Total cost was $73.16 taxes and all. 
fiero308
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 09:24:28 pm »

well Dan if you have a chance to get a pic up showing your layout I am sure everyone would like to see it. Me too.

GoFast88
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 08:03:45 am »

So Brian if you like get your self one as it will clamp right in on your car.

Will order one from Can Tire this week

ed note: not available from Can Tire    Got one from Youngs Speed Shop @ $75+taxes
« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 09:59:10 pm by GoFast88 » Logged
blutes
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 11:20:19 pm »

Sounds like something I should pick up, thanks Dan.
2ML67
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 11:38:15 am »

One of these days I will have to invest in a digital camera, so for now will have to wait till roll is full then take into get developed. Then scan in the pictures and find some one I can e-mail them to as I am on such slow dial up that I can not post pictures. Dan
blutes
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 10:12:16 pm »

Dan, I hear that if you buy a digital camera from future shop they throw in a mig welder too!!!  sounds like just what you need.        Brian.
2ML67
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 12:58:25 pm »

Yes I know a mig welder is also some thing that I am in need of. As for the K&N filter I was refering to yellow Fiero Brian but if other Brian wants to relocate the air filter to the wheel well it would also work. Dan
fiero308
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 01:09:48 pm »

One of these days I will have to invest in a digital camera, so for now will have to wait till roll is full then take into get developed. Then scan in the pictures and find some one I can e-mail them to as I am on such slow dial up that I can not post pictures. Dan

Dan I could be mistaken, but I think that once you send pix to the server then the server will 'hold' them; so you would only have to email them the one time.  Just download or save them as small files to start with. But yeah; dial up is a drag.... I wouldn't be able to run my business if I was still on dial up.

GP

2ML67
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 12:12:13 pm »

I fed 3.5" tubing in through a hole I made so the tubing goes over and around the fuel tank filler tube. Problems I have found before is getting larger tubing under the filler tube so I chose to go above it.
The filter is clamped onto the tube but I also bolted a piece of bent spring steel under the filter so it can not slip off.
Yeller Brian if you are going to your mothers pick one up and I can instal it for you while you wait, should only take a few minutes to do. Dan
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: 3800SC swap K&N filter « previous next »
Jump to: