Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 07:06:17 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: Fuel filler caps (mostly for Gary) « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fuel filler caps (mostly for Gary)  (Read 1521 times)
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« on: May 15, 2006, 12:14:50 pm »

The "aircraft style" filler from my motorcycle.  Probably not too hard to adapt to what you had in mind...

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 12:15:11 pm »

Two more pics...

FieroBUZZ
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 01:29:45 pm »

Is that stock, Don?  Or an aftermarket cap.  It looks like I could chop up a damaged tank for the top bit and weld the tube to the bottom of the filler.  Thanks for the pics.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 09:00:32 am »

100% stock.

I've seen similar fillers on other makes/models, but you can find this particular one on any 1997-2004 Suzuki VZ800 Marauder.  Probably most Suzuki cruisers come to think of it.

The only catches I can think of...  every motorcycle I've seen with that style of filler has the cap keyed to the bike's ignition.  Probably fixable via locksmith, or disassembling the lock and jamming the tumblers "open".  The other is the engraved "Suzuki" logo.  Wink

There's a motorcycle salvage yard a little bit west of Perth, Woody's Cycles.  They have limited daytime hours, but if you call ahead and explain what you want to do they'd probably let you walk the yard yourself.

There's another yard in Carp IIRC...  the last time I looked it was in the Yellow Pages under "motorcycle wreckers".

FieroBUZZ
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 11:16:23 am »

Not worried about locking.  However I wonder if there is some rule banning a cycle cap from auto use?
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 08:56:14 am »

With respect to safety checks, they appear to only be concerned about leaks and loose (fuel system) components.  (scroll down to schedule 1, section 8 of this link to see the actual wording)

This style of cap snaps down securely, and has a rubber gasket between the cap and the lip of the tank.  Haven't had a leak yet that I've noticed, and given that if the cap leaked it would run down the tank and on to my crotch, I think I'd notice.  Wink

I've never held the bike upside down and shook it to see if anything leaks, but...   Grin

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: Fuel filler caps (mostly for Gary) « previous next »
Jump to: