Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:51:13 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: the ongoing brake upgrade...update « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: the ongoing brake upgrade...update  (Read 1644 times)
fiero308
« on: May 02, 2003, 08:15:20 pm »

got my spindle (one) back today so that is the test case done. Now I can go ahead and put my 12" Camaro 1LE rotors on. I don't know how to post more than one pick at a time so I will be doing a little mini series to date.
First pick is the little cute fiero spindle on the right and a full size chev spindle ass'y on the left.  Note the difference in the diameter of the stub axles.  That is the key here.  More pix to follow.
fiero308
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 08:18:04 pm »

this is to show the reason for doing the brake upgrade; showing the stock fiero front rotor, caliper (can you make out the piston size?) and pad size; compared to the same for the camaro.
Guess which is which.......... Grin Grin Grin

With the increased clamping force due to the increased piston and the increased area of the bigger pad at a greater effective torque arm, this should be like hitting a brick wall.  Better get 4 point belts......... Shocked
fiero308
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2003, 08:19:53 pm »

here is the old and new fiero spindles; with the new thicker axle stub installed.  This will let me put the big 1LE rotor on and also has the benefit of bigger wheel bearings (that are dirt cheap!!! Wink )
Just a 'LITTLE" difference............
 Grin
fiero308
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2003, 08:29:07 am »

just to keep this alive. The first setup (above) was basically a test case but it worked out the way I wanted it to. It kept the wheel mounting surface at the same distance from the ball joint connection points as the stock fiero setup.
It also allows me to stick with the stock ball joints and doesn't change my steering geometry at all (so far, anyway), all of which were big priorities. I am putting the good HD MOOG adjustable ball joints in.
I had to stop the reassembly (arghhh; work! Angry) to get my sandblaster set up (getting there....) and also because I couldn't get ONLY upper control arm bushings; have to buy a set, so they are 'on their way' as they say. Should have them monday/tuesday. Then the control arm reassembly can continue.
I will get my other spindle back today; NICE job; and so can proceed with finishing them both up; (a little cleanup etc.... why not)
These ass'y's will use stock S10/Camaro/Chev belly button bearings, grease seals, rotors, calipers and pads. The calipers are as cheap as $17 each rebuilt!!!  That all satisfies my main aim to have my car use easy-to-obtain parts that will be dead reliable and super easy to fix if it DOES need something. (I am keeping/compiling a maintenance manual for parts listings; model years etc etc)
More to follow next wk, with pix. (but more work work getting in the way again...... Angry   ........ oh, yeah, that is where the money comes from...  Grin)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: the ongoing brake upgrade...update « previous next »
Jump to: