Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 05:50:06 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: Insurance............ ???????? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Insurance............ ????????  (Read 2691 times)
fiero308
« on: May 01, 2003, 12:11:50 pm »

just had a long talk with my insurance company this AM; and now I am wondering what others are doing where they have modified their car and who they are with, what special considerations their insurance company has etc etc etc.

Would appreciate all and any feedback. The bottom line here is that my ins co might NOT insure my car at all; I may have to go to another company altogether...... is is not sure right now, but if i go ahead with my brake upgrades (spelled "alterations") and turbo and bigger engine (spelled racing modifications); that was NOT avail for the stock version  Wink then they definitely will not........ Roll Eyes

Just curious how others are handling it. In the event a 'modded' car gets into an accident, what are they going to say to you?  I know it is easy to simply not mention the mods but just IFF they happen to find out (ie the hard way.....) ........ then what Huh Huh Huh
  Shocked
WillEV
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2003, 12:19:04 pm »

I think my insureance asks for a appraisal, you might be paying more insurance if you go this way.
fiero1
Moving UP!

dark-rider

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2003, 12:54:51 pm »

My insurance will not or would not cover my GT until i had the car appraised Undecided
Boy-z
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2003, 11:19:05 pm »

Same as mine...Last year I had to change ins co. and they would only insure with app. They gave me pl/pd and to get fire and theft I had to produce a safety and to get collision I had to get an apprasil . I did all the above to get full coverage I had the car app. at $10.000
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2003, 08:19:09 am »

Full coverage from nose to tail here, no appraisal necessary, but I haven't yet applied any significant non-stock modifications.  Smiley

I was however advised to have her appraised should I make any significant modifications.  My understanding at the time was that this was to guarantee that I would receive a fair value in the event of a write-off, instead of the going red book value for a stock vehicle.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
Boy-z
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2003, 08:46:14 am »

Get that in writing.
fiero1
Moving UP!

dark-rider

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2003, 08:46:46 am »

;DMaybe i will go to your insurance company.....I had 2 companies insist on an appraisal.LEIDEKER APPRAISALS LTD. appraised my GT at 6,OOO  summer 2002 @ the insurance refused to insure it for that amont they locked it in at 3600 if i ever have to write it off Embarrassed,i thought 6,000 was a bit high as appraisal beause even though it's in good shape it's not perfect but these people are suppose to be the proffesionals so i dind't say anything.........Nice @ sunny weekend coming hope to get my GT back from the shop soon..... Cool Cool Cool  
Boy-z
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2003, 08:54:03 am »

That is why I changed last year the co. I was with said they would only ins what they felt it was worth So I told them kindly to stick it. I went to bel-air direct and they had no problem ins for the 10.000 that grampa's garage valued it at and I believe Eric had his apprised there also but I do not know who he is ins with.
JetJumper
Jetjumper
FORUM MASTER
MASTER FIERO

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2003, 09:06:24 am »

When my Dad had his Jaguar Appraised from Grandpa's, we asked him for a quick estimate on mine.  He said well, its not totaly accurate but somewhere around $4000..But I can't afford insurance anyway. Tongue

Just found out yesterday I got myself a Summer job tho!  So hopefully!

-----------------------
JetTech
www.jetjumper.ca
-----------------------
Boy-z
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2003, 09:38:13 am »

The way I look at it is if I total it I will be getting 10g's about 10 years ago I had an 1974 datsun 260z I had it apprised at 15,000 and it was stolen and wreaked the insurance co. I was with at the time only wanted to give me 4,500 for it as they said the apprisal was almost 3 years old I told them I got the apprisal done and it was good for three years and I have been paying my premium since then so release the funds they said they would have to see what it was worth first so I said fine let's get the people who apprised it 3 years ago and whatever they say will be fine with me. So that is what we did this guy shows up at union where tyhe car sat and when we all arrive people where stripping it like a bunch of rats, anyway the appraiser said as it sit right now He would put a value of 15 to 17g's as it sit so I got my money then I told them to stick there co. Insureance co. want your money but if it is on paper and they except your funds ....your in.
ddroger
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2003, 06:05:44 pm »

My car is insured as a KIT CAR with State Farm Mutual. To make sure that could happen, the MTO had to be convinvinced it WAS a kit car. Some documentation needed, but not real tough stuff to provide. My agent also has my neighbour's Street rod ('35 Chevvy with 350 V-8) Insured.

My agent is Peter GOOLD @ 828-5257.

Use my name & maybe I'll get a discount or a key chain. (Guess which one?)

Don

P.S. I've got $25,000 replacement value, no appraisal needed so far, but my agent wants to see the car soon.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: Insurance............ ???????? « previous next »
Jump to: