Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 06:51:49 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Off Topic  |  Other  |  Topic: Replacing main bearing caps... « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Replacing main bearing caps...  (Read 1408 times)
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« on: January 14, 2004, 09:45:26 am »

...on a VW.  Eeeew!

But it has to be done.   Undecided

Having never done it before, I'm looking for someone "in the know."  Is it a simple matter of purchasing the new caps & installing them, or should I dig up some plastigauge & check the clearances first in case the bearing surfaces on the crank have worn significantly?

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
FieroDough
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 09:57:01 am »

if it's knocking, it too late. You need to get the crank checked for scores ect.

if not.. you need to plecsy? gauge the bearings and get the appropriate replacement.

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 10:38:06 am »

if it's knocking, it too late. You need to get the crank checked for scores ect.

if not.. you need to plecsy? gauge the bearings and get the appropriate replacement.

Nope, not knocking thank goodness.  

All of the symptoms it currently has, plus a track record for that particular engine, are pointing a big, fat finger at mains that are worn just enough to cause problems in the oil pressure department, but not enough to produce any noticable knocking.

So I do need to get the new caps properly sized, eh?  Thanks Eric!

Now I have an excuse to buy a new tool...  mmmmm   Grin

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Off Topic  |  Other  |  Topic: Replacing main bearing caps... « previous next »
Jump to: