Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 07:52:51 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Buy/Sell/Trade  |  Parts  |  Topic: Body filler material « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Body filler material  (Read 2005 times)
GoFast85
« on: May 03, 2004, 12:15:54 pm »

I have 2 holes for repair at the front badge (decal) and a few chips at the rear deck.  Can anyone recomend a good filler material. Supplier and price required if you have it.
FieroBUZZ
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 07:56:59 pm »

Use the repair kit for plastic bumpers ($8 for two tubes at CTC)   Back it up with a small piece of screen for strength.  Body fill will eventually crack around the hole.  You can get the 2 tubes of epoxy or a kit with them as well as some little tubes of glue.

Same s/b fine for small dings in the SMC.  Marsten makes an SMC compatible 'glass resin that works well for larger work.  Just finely chop some mat and mix with the resin (and some bondo if desired)
GoFast85
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 07:40:32 am »

Will contact you for the finer points  Cheesy
Kitten
Ottawa Fiero Member
Moving UP!

Unofficial Ottawa Fiero Club shutter bug

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004, 08:03:52 am »

Just a note about using that bumper repair kit.  I fixed up the nose on Don's car with that stuff, works great but don't use heavy sandpaper with it, and make sure it is completely set before you try sanding it.  The darn stuff will just come right off if it's not set completely when you try to sand it.  

The excitement is in the curves.

Lead, Follow, Or get out of the way.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 09:42:50 am »

There are also kits for "plastic welding" which are slowly gaining popularity.

Think of a genetic cross between a MIG welder, a heat gun, and a hot melt glue gun.   Grin  Apparently there is a good variety of welding rods for this type of set-up, capable of bonding to a variety of plastics.

Small mention of it here, including a link to some of the products available.  Wouldn't surprise me if you can get this stuff locally as well.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
GoFast85
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 09:51:05 am »

There is a fellow in Lanark that does it out of his garage. I got him to do some fairing on my bike but was not too empressed by the job. I think it was more of "the Operator" than it was of the material.
GoFast85
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 07:42:53 am »

Is this the stuff Gary? Part # 47-5601-0 Car/Boat Plastic repair kit @ $15.99 made by Dominion Sure Seal out of Mississauga. http://www.dominionsureseal.com/products.asp?CatID=56&SubCatID=650&ProductID=650
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 07:48:38 am by GoFast85 » Logged
Kitten
Ottawa Fiero Member
Moving UP!

Unofficial Ottawa Fiero Club shutter bug

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 08:00:29 am »

If Gary is talking about the stuff I believe he is, it's at Canadian Tire in they're body repair section... usually up above all the body fillers on a hook.  It's a kit with two tubs, some fiber cloth, a stick... i think that's all, it's an eboxy of some sort, I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but I used it to fix the holes where the license plate bracket used to be on the nose of Don's car.  I can get the name of the stuff and the CTC part number on my way home today and post it tonight if you want.

I've never tried that stuff you put the link for, but I know the epoxy at CTC works on the bumpers and it's not showing any signs of letting go or anything on Don's car, and I did it last summer.

The excitement is in the curves.

Lead, Follow, Or get out of the way.
FieroBUZZ
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 09:48:46 am »

Kitten, you're much too nice to that guy.  The best my wife has done is throw out parts that I've put in the 'wrong' place.

Brian, yes, that is the big kit.  You can get the 2 tubes of epoxy on a 'card pack' for about half the price.  The kit has a couple of tiny tubes of cement and a bit of 'glass screen. Not used often and not worth the difference in cost.

Open the kit if there is one there and you'll see the tubes.  They look the same on the card.  Just labelled part A and part B, I think.
GoFast85
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2004, 10:00:40 am »

If the 2 tubes on the card are the ones that you are talking about-- it is called JB weld. Tough as nails (have used it on cylinder head repairs) but will not take any vibration. I bought the item as web link described @ $15.99 and will mix it with yellow marine pigment and hope to get a good (read reasonable) job.
2ML67
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2004, 08:03:12 am »

My wife knows better than to even enter my garage let alone throw things out. In my house I am the boss ( just don't tell the wife or I am in big trouble).
To make most apoxy's work you must first rough up the area you are going to apply it on or it won't adhere to the material properly.
GoFast85
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2004, 09:48:55 am »

I started by removing the PONTIAC decal on the rear of the car. Cleaned up the glue mess and beveled the inner and outer of the hole with a small file to about a 45 degree angle each. I tried to use the fiberglass screen c/w mixture in the back of the hole but it would not stick. Used the 'ol faithful duck tape to the inside and applied the mixture to partialy fill the hole. Will put more filler in tommorrow to complete the job before sanding.

BTW. I used the Part 4 and Part 5 mix and also a yellow marine dye to make a mix. Wasn't quite a paste, more of a soft slurry. Might have to add something to make it more of a paste. More hardner won't  help as it will just make it harder faster. If it was pancake mix, I would just add more flour. Suggestions
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Buy/Sell/Trade  |  Parts  |  Topic: Body filler material « previous next »
Jump to: