Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 12:53:43 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Off Topic  |  Other  |  Topic: Cast Iron Caliper Housing « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cast Iron Caliper Housing  (Read 2482 times)
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« on: September 17, 2003, 12:34:47 pm »

Does anyone know why one of my rear brake caliper housings are cast iron instead of cast aluminum (88 Fiero)?
I was overhauling my brakes last weekend when I noticed that one of the calipers were not like the others.  I couldn’t tell before because they look the same when they were dirty.

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2003, 09:16:15 am »

Did GM use these calipers on any other model car?

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2003, 04:28:26 pm »

Does anyone know where I might find the information I'm looking for?

Aaron

A.K.A
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2003, 10:48:18 am »

I do recall mid seventies (circa) eldorado rear calipers had the spring loaded piston (in fact, alot of the jeep guys use it on the trails)

mebbe start ur search there??

MArc
fiero308
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2003, 03:26:52 pm »

does it look to be identical to the aluminum one?
I have a pair of the Caddy rear calipers with the e brake; yes, they ARE cast iron
but they don't look like the fiero rears (85 model tho)

FieroBUZZ
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2003, 04:35:45 pm »

The 88 brakes are a bit different, as far as I know. I haven't run into one as I stick to 84-87.

When I put the GA rear calipers on my 86, I found one of the Fiero rears was cast and one aluminum as well.  I think it's just that and aftermarket part or maybe a later version was made of a different material.

I believe that the Fiero calipers are specific to our cars.  Most of the other GM calipers with integral ebrake are much wider to enable thicker vented rotors.

Gary
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2003, 07:34:29 pm »

What worries me is that the cast calliper seems to have a lower tolerance on the piston.  Other than that the two are exact mirrors of each other.

I'll have to assume that the cast calliper is some sort of cheap replacement.  I'll put it on my list of things to keep an eye on.

Aaron

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2004, 09:34:37 am »

Aaron--saw this thread on PFF just now, and thought of you.

While it doesn't explain why you have one iron & one aluminum caliper, it does mention something interesting about the 88 rear calipers.  Apparently the originals were cast in two pieces, from disimilar metals.

One claim is aluminum/iron, the other is aluminum/mystery metal.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2004, 11:48:10 am »

Thank you.

Aaron

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Off Topic  |  Other  |  Topic: Cast Iron Caliper Housing « previous next »
Jump to: