Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 01:12:06 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: Speaking of the G6's six-speed... « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Speaking of the G6's six-speed...  (Read 1452 times)
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« on: November 29, 2006, 09:04:10 am »

...it looks like there's a decent, detailed write-up of the F40 vs. the Getrag in progress in this thread on  PFF.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
2ML67
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 12:12:36 pm »

I have been keeping track of that one, it is very tempting and for just $1000 for a brand new tranny stronger than the Getrag. Only draw back is all the extras needed in the way of a clutch and shifter work. Just a shame that six gears doesn't mean a lot lower RPM in top gear for extra fuel savings. Dan
2ML67
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 12:35:53 pm »

This is what I am thinking of for next summers project for me to build. Get the 5.3l Impala engine and mate it up to a 6 speed manual and run a truck PCM which uses the 5.3 with a manual tranny. That would make for a pretty nice Fiero for cruising around in. Dan
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 01:58:47 pm »

I was once interested in a 6 speed but from what I know now it is totally useless if you are going to power up your motor.  Otherwise it’s not a bad option, just not with high hp engines.  A nice tall 5 speed will always be faster (unless you drive a Honda).

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 02:59:21 pm »

I was once interested in a 6 speed but from what I know now it is totally useless if you are going to power up your motor.

For anything with a decnet amount of low-rpm grunt, I like to think of the F40 as a five-speed + low, not a six speed.   Grin 

The only real appeal it has for me, is its "out of the box" abuse resistance.  Well that, and the apparent lack of frame mutilation required to fit it in the engine bay (unlike the NSX trannys).

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: Speaking of the G6's six-speed... « previous next »
Jump to: