Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 01:49:03 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: Nose job « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nose job  (Read 9574 times)
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« on: July 08, 2003, 07:54:23 am »

Out and about yesterday down near the new house and I came across a very nice almost mint black 88 Formula in need of an engine.

Speaking of 88's, I started the nose swap last night.  If my wife hadn't hidden my snips on me before leaving for her class I might have been able to prep the space under the RH headlight for the new battery location too!  I digress...

I can't for the life of me figure out where those two plastic blocks go.  I remember you describing it to me, but now that I look at it with the impact absorber in place I can't picture it.   Embarrassed

Don't suppose you'd mind putting a big red circle in the appropriate place on one of these photos, would you?   At the moment I'm guessing that they should go behind those skinnier sections of the impact absorber?  Cheesy

Got me to thinking hmm would look really nice with an L67 in there. Now to decide if I really feel like building another or keep moding the one I have. Decisions decisions life can be so difficult sometimes.

Life is rough.   Wink

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2003, 07:55:47 am »

2nd photo

2ML67
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2003, 09:18:07 am »

They go on the bottom of the metal bumper and line up to support the plastic part. Didn't realize when you asked for the bumper but I think you might need the different signal light housings. If they do not line up let me know and  I will try and find the right ones for you. Dan
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2003, 09:47:14 am »

They go on the bottom of the metal bumper and line up to support the plastic part.

So I wasn't as far off-base as I feared that I might be in my musings.  Thanks!  One drill-and-push-pin job coming up when I get home today!

Didn't realize when you asked for the bumper but I think you might need the different signal light housings. If they do not line up let me know and  I will try and find the right ones for you.

I wasn't sure about that either--with the two fascias off-car and side-by-side, the cut-outs for the signal lights appear to be in the same location.  I haven't tried fitting the new nose to the car yet though, so I can't say for certain.  I'll drop it on there for a test-fit tonight after I hack up a hole for the battery tray and let you know.

FieroBUZZ
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2003, 12:10:40 pm »

If you have the round 88 trim, it will have a marker light/trim piece that covers the whole distance except the small front spear. At least that's what my GT one does.

The SE ribbed one has the spear, then the light, then a second bit of separate trim, I think.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2003, 12:23:51 pm »

If you have the round 88 trim, it will have a marker light/trim piece that covers the whole distance except the small front spear. At least that's what my GT one does.

The SE ribbed one has the spear, then the light, then a second bit of separate trim, I think.

Ahhh nuts.  I thought something was different about the marker lights/trim arrangement, but I didn't look at it all that closely.   Embarrassed

Sounds like at the very least I'm going to need the '88 front marker lights; still not sure about the fit of the front signals, but that'll only take a few minutes to find out after I get home.

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2003, 05:13:44 pm »

They go on the bottom of the metal bumper and line up to support the plastic part.

I feel like I'm having a blonde moment.  You don't happen to remember what orientation they were in, do you?   Huh   No matter which way I place them, it doesn't look "right".

I strongly suspect that the rust-stained side mates up against the metal bumper, but horizontal vs. vertical has me stumped. Undecided

2ML67
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2003, 09:53:56 pm »

The rusted part does go against the bottom flat part of the metal bumper so most of piece points out to support the nose. They bolt on the bumper just beside the nose openings so you do not see them when the nose is on. Holes may already be there.
Went to wreckers today looking but could not find proper signal lights as they were already missing when I got the nose. From what I can see they are the same ones the aero nose uses.
Trying to find a picture showing placement of parts but no luck so far. Dan
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2003, 08:31:27 am »

The rusted part does go against the bottom flat part of the metal bumper so most of piece points out to support the nose. They bolt on the bumper just beside the nose openings so you do not see them when the nose is on. Holes may already be there.

LOL that explains why I couldn't find an orientation which looked right.  I was trying to fit them between the face of the metal bumper and one of the weaker sections of the plastic impact absorber!  Roll Eyes  (red circled areas on the photo below)

Went to wreckers today looking but could not find proper signal lights as they were already missing when I got the nose. From what I can see they are the same ones the aero nose uses.

Thanks.  If you spot a pair some time, would appreciate it if you would let me know.  Don't make any special trips just for that though--the "old" marker lights will keep everything legal for the time being.  I'll just have to pretend that the gap in the trim isn't there.  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 08:33:35 am by dguy » Logged

2ML67
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2003, 06:41:06 pm »

Took a good look at 87 in local wreckers today and found front signal lights in trunk, who would ever think to hide them there. Dan
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2003, 08:15:26 am »

Took a good look at 87 in local wreckers today and found front signal lights in trunk, who would ever think to hide them there. Dan

If you had seen some of the stuff that I stashed in the trunk of my 2M4 when I sent it off to the wreckers, you wouldn't have been surprised.  Smiley

I take it the lights are no longer in the trunk, and are in your possession?

I finished cutting out the hole for the battery last night, and gave the nose a test-fit.  Looks like I'll have to drill three new holes for push-pins where the center of the fascia fastens to the underside of the bumper, but everything else lines up nicely!

Tonight's project will be to install the nose, and get all the measurements I need to have someone weld up a battery tray...

2ML67
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2003, 04:36:52 pm »

Of course the lights are now sitting on a shelf in my garage. I believe 10 gauge steel 10 inches wide and then 9 inches down 9 1/2 inches across and then 10inches back up. Like a big U shape but with square edges. On inside mark and trim to match upper frame to allow for wiring and headlight clearance. Reccomend you check measurements my memory may be faulty. Dan  
GoFast85
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2003, 07:44:35 am »

dguy
Was thinking of putting on a new nose on my 85 Se. Where do you hand you hat, so I can take a look?
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2003, 08:05:26 am »

Of course the lights are now sitting on a shelf in my garage.

Much appreciated!!!

I believe 10 gauge steel 10 inches wide and then 9 inches down 9 1/2 inches across and then 10inches back up. Like a big U shape but with square edges. On inside mark and trim to match upper frame to allow for wiring and headlight clearance. Reccomend you check measurements my memory may be faulty.

I'll know for certain later this weekend...  I think.  Didn't get to installing the fascia last night due to lack of time & energy.

I might be able to install it this weekend--we pick up a 6 week old rottweiler pup on our way home tonight, so all bets are off as far as getting anything done this weekend!   Wink

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2003, 08:05:21 am »

The hole for the battery tray is cut, and the fascia is mounted.  I should be able to get the battery tray manufactured, painted, and ready for installation this week, I hope.  Brian, are you still interested in having one made up at the same time if I can get a decent price for it?

The lower dam isn't on the car yet; looks like the owner of the doner liked to park real close to curbs.  There are also two or three spots under the bumper where I need to drill new holes for those silly push-pins, presumably due to differences between the mounting of the '88 nose and the '85.

The grey splotches in the front & centre is a repair-in-progress of the mounting holes for the licence plate bracket.  I started it the repair, and the honour of finishing it goes to my wife who's just itching to put what she learned at a body repair course to the test!     Smiley

[edit: holy crap that pic looked awful at 1024x768.  let's try this again!]
« Last Edit: July 28, 2003, 08:16:59 am by dguy » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: Nose job « previous next »
Jump to: