Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 04:23:35 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: Front Coil Spring Removal « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Front Coil Spring Removal  (Read 4054 times)
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« on: June 04, 2003, 09:17:38 am »

I was feeling inspired last night, and decided to start on poly-izing my front suspension bushings.

That was when I discovered that my shiney new coil spring compressor is useless for the Fiero.

I knew that I likely would never fit your average MacPherson strut spring compressor in there, so I bought one which runs on a single screw up the center of the spring.

The lack of hole under the spring in the lower A-arm makes that difficult to use however.  Next time, I'll look before purchasing.  Roll Eyes

So...  does anyone know if there exists a coil spring compressor which is similar to those little ones for door hinge springs, but bigger?

Also, I have read a number of claims that after disconnecting the steering knuckle, stabilizer link, and shock absorber, the lower A-arm will drop far enough to allow the spring to be evicted with a pry bar.

"Pry bar," "coil spring," and "safe" are not normally phrases I care use in the same sentence.  Is it truly possible to do this without the unintentional removal of either human or vehicular body parts?   Undecided

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
cowans
Fiero Know-it-all

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2003, 09:35:26 am »

Quote: So...  does anyone know if there exists a coil spring compressor which is similar to those little ones for door hinge springs, but bigger?
Princess Auto has them.... You might be able to 'borrow' a spring compressor tool from Crappy Tire! I would use the tool....hands & eyes are hard to replace!
Sandy

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2003, 10:07:28 am »

So...  does anyone know if there exists a coil spring compressor which is similar to those little ones for door hinge springs, but bigger?

Princess Auto has them....
Do you have a part number by any chance?  I looked through P.A.'s hand tool catalog earlier this morning, and found only the center-screw type compressor which I already own, and two flavors of MacPherson strut compressors which use two screws along the outer length of the spring.

Due to the clearances between components, a MacPherson strut-type compressor won't fit in there.

You might be able to 'borrow' a spring compressor tool from Crappy Tire!
Nope.  They only have strut-type compressors available for loan.  Last time I asked, the kid behind the counter wasn't even aware that there was any other type of coil suspension other than struts.   Roll Eyes

Then again I suppose that isn't any worse than the hostess for our last GTG at Jack Astors having to ask "what's a Fiero".   Cheesy

fiero308
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2003, 06:01:39 pm »

well, ......... mine came OUT ok......... mind you I was expecting them to SPROING! out and they did, but not dangerously so.  The big deal to me would be putting them back in!  I am not at all sure I would enjoy that part but maybe a big enough pry bar etc.  (NOTE: I am NOT putting them back; I am going to front coil overs so it isn't an issue but I think that would be the challenge.  
It is ALWAYS fun taking things apart!!! Grin Grin
I would guess that once it is seated on the big upper spring 'seat' then a suitable pry bar and some careful work and TWO people - one ready to put a block under the control arm - would work but have not done this myself.
good luck and be careful.
 Shocked
FieroDough
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2003, 12:44:30 pm »

I used a strut compressor. it has 4 fingers, 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom to clamp on the spring, I just grabbed her from a fuew rings down instead of the top, it compressed it enough.

I guess I'd have to see your tool in order to understand...

Hummm... I just re-read that. Tongue  ah well. Cheesy
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2003, 10:09:21 am »

well, ......... mine came OUT ok......... mind you I was expecting them to SPROING! out and they did, but not dangerously so.
Funny you should chime in, Graeme.  After seeing your pics of the front-end work, I was going to give you a poke if you didn't.   Wink

It is ALWAYS fun taking things apart!!! Grin Grin
I would guess that once it is seated on the big upper spring 'seat' then a suitable pry bar and some careful work and TWO people - one ready to put a block under the control arm - would work but have not done this myself.
The other method I've heard of, is to seat the spring between the LCA and the upper mount, and hold it loosely in place with a rollable floor jack under the LCA.

A couple of loops of chain around the spring to secure it to the front crossmember as an anti-sproing device, raise the LCA to the correct height using the jack, then shove the LCA into place and bolt everything up.

Every time I think of it, I can't imagine pulling it off without something breaking, be it a part of me, the car, or something else in the garage.

I have my eye on a spring compressor on eBay at the moment, which has four long fingers.  It sounds very similar to what Eric described in his reply actually....

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2003, 10:45:53 am »

I used a strut compressor. it has 4 fingers, 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom to clamp on the spring, I just grabbed her from a fuew rings down instead of the top, it compressed it enough.
I'm looking at a similar beast on eBay at the moment, but cringing at the probable shipping cost & Jean's bend-over-at-the-border fees.

Did you purchase yours locally?  If so, from where?

I guess I'd have to see your tool in order to understand...
Shocked  But we hardly know each other!  Wink

It's designed primarily for coil-overs, as far as I know.  Once the shock is removed, the tool goes up inside the spring (via the shock hole).  Four arms swing out and hook the coils, which are pulled closer together as you tighten the screw.

If you have Princess Auto's catalog of Hand Tools handy, it's one of the only three (suspension) spring compressors they carry.

cowans
Fiero Know-it-all

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2003, 02:52:58 pm »

My previous reference was in fact what Fierodough was using. just hook it to a lower rung! Other than that, maybe a specialized outfit like Malmberg's on Micheal St might be able to suggest something.
Sandy
FieroDough
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2003, 06:01:34 pm »

Mine is still at the shop. I'll see if I can scam it for a few days. Smiley
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2003, 09:01:05 am »

Much appreciated if you can!

(I still have to get one of these things for myself some day though...)

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2003, 08:54:50 am »

Found a local source through which to purchase that spring compressor, but I ain't gonna do it.

I've never heard of them up until now, but it's manufactured by "OTC", who is apparently very proud of their tools, and likes to stand shoulder to shoulder with SnapOn & MacTools.

$425 from my local UAP dealer.   Shocked Shocked Shocked

fiero308
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2003, 07:37:16 pm »

here; forgot I made these a million years ago for something else. They are shown with a fiero front spring. If you think you can make them work - even with mods (cutting/grinding, welding - I have a welder!- etc); you are welcome to try.
No guarantees!!! Grin but I think they might.
Let me know if you want to try them.
no probs
gp
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2003, 10:46:46 am »

Thanks for the offer Graeme, but I should be ok.

I've purchased the "four-finger" compressor that I found on eBay; just waiting for it to arrive now.

Even with shipping, the exchange rate, and border fees it should still be well under the $425 I was quoted for OTC's version of it.

leviathan muledy
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2003, 09:12:36 pm »

haha, the front springs those are really fun. (very sarcastic). but actually i just got done dropping my fiero with the intrax springs and i did it all with a spring compressor just like that one. i will be honest, it was not fun and it was not easy. but i did it. if youre doing a lowering spring project, my advice is get the front done first, because the rear is easy.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2003, 07:55:31 am »

Nope, not lowering.  Just replacing rotten/dried-up rubber bushings.

The project is on hold for the moment though, while I finish a nose swap & relocate the battery.

After that I can't (without guilt) touch the Fiero until I catch up with some routine maintenance on our other vehicles.  [sigh]

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: Front Coil Spring Removal « previous next »
Jump to: