Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 06:12:08 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: Paint Job Ideas « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paint Job Ideas  (Read 4381 times)
MacPhail
« on: April 17, 2008, 08:08:40 pm »

Too much of a cop magnet?

Cheers, Derek

FieroBUZZ
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 08:43:53 pm »

The Gulf racing team lives.   Yes, it may be a bit over the top.   Shocked
MacPhail
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 08:57:03 pm »

The Gulf racing team lives.   Yes, it may be a bit over the top.   Shocked

Excellent.  Then I'll do it.   Evil

Ok.  The reality is that my wife probably won't let me, so who am I kidding?  Primer Black is what it might be this year.  lol

2ML67
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 08:58:00 pm »

Now we know what the body shops do with all the left over paint in colours that no one wants.
I say paint it all one colour to start with. Dan
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 08:30:46 am »

So does the number on the car represent your mental age, or physical age?   Grin

First thing I thought of was Herbie for some reason.  I need help.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
Sentinel
Returns to active lurker status
Ottawa Fiero Member
MASTER FIERO

Wrapped in Horsepower, Driving into Fury......

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 09:02:23 am »

Baby blue should never ever ever be applied to any car part....ever.....for any circumstances......ever.  Shocked

We drive so fast , it seems as though , we take into the sky, the Fiero Machines in Harmony , Hear the Engines Cry
MacPhail
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 09:33:39 am »

Baby blue rocks!   Afro 

The number I'd go with would be "3"....I'm not sure how a triple digit number to represent my IQ would look (thanks Don!).   Wink
FieroBUZZ
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 09:55:59 am »

Racing numbers should never ever ever be applied to any car part....ever.....for any circumstances......ever.  Shocked

Corrected!   Cheesy

The blue looks okay, but how about the personalized plate "3" or even "ZOMBIE 3" rather than a racing number.   Lips Sealed
Kevin
Ottawa Fiero Member
MASTER FIERO

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 09:59:17 am »

I kinda like it. It reminds me of "The King" (Richard Petty) from the movie Cars.
MacPhail
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 10:00:45 am »

The blue looks okay, but how about the personalized plate "3" or even "ZOMBIE 3" rather than a racing number.   Lips Sealed

Hmmmm....a zombie themed car.   Azn  

Speaking of zombies, the movie I was in last year (it will be called "Reel Zombies") should have a trailer out soon.  I'll be sure to post it (I figure to be in the trailer as my zombie plays an important role).  
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 05:36:46 pm »

Dude, do what you want.  It's your car.

Cheers.

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
JetJumper
Jetjumper
FORUM MASTER
MASTER FIERO

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 04:11:36 pm »

First thing I thought of was Herbie for some reason.  I need help.

I thought of the same thing, strangely.

-----------------------
JetTech
www.jetjumper.ca
-----------------------
FIERO-JOE
Fiero Know-it-all

30 years old!!

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 08:07:08 am »

got this of a link:
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

here's how i painted my car for about $50, it's actually very easy and the results are amazing. First off, get a can of tremclad real orange (or what ever color u want) in the can, not spray, yes tremclad, it is a acrylic/enamel paint which is very durable. next prep your car as if was any other paint job, fix all the rust, ect....no need to prime the car since the tremclad allready contains elements which allow it to be painted over bare metal. next, after prepping the car get a small 4" professional FOAM rollers, it's tiny and has one end rounded off, and the other cut straight, and is a very high density foam. u also need a jug of mineral spirits to thin the paint. The thing i really like about this is that there's no mess, no tapeing the whole car, just key areas, and u can do it in your garage, since your not spraying there is virtually no dust in the air, just clean your garage first, also it does'nt really smell at all, dries overnight and it super tough paint. also it you decide to paint the car professionally later, just prep and paint, there's no need to strip the tremclad. i have done this to a few cars, and i can say it works amazing, u just have to be paitient. next u thin the paint with mineral spirits so it just about as thin as water, a little thicker. get out the roller and paint away, don't get the paint shaked when u buy it, enamel is stirred, otherwise you'll have bubbles in the paint for a week!!! after u do 2 coats, wet sand the whole car, then repeat, 2 coats, wetsand, 2 coats wetsand. i painted the charger using a can since your not spraying the car u use all the paint and not spray 50% in the air, use progressivly finer sand paper each time. it's not really that much work, cause u can stop and start any time, u can do just a door, or the hood, ect. do one panel at a time, and don't stop once you start. once your done the final coat, wetsand with about 1000 grit to a totally smooth finish, and then using a high speed polisher i use a buffing bonnet and turtle wax polishing compound. do the whole car with this, and i'm telling u, depending on the amount of time and paitence you have, the results are amazing. laugh if you want, but for $50 ($30 for paint, about $20 for rollers, sand paper, ect...) it really looks good. also you can do these steps overnight, paint one evening and by morning u can wet sand. i have personally done alot of painting, mostly single stage acrylic enamel, and i've sprayed several cars in my garage with really good professional results, just it stinks, it's a real pain to do, easy to make a mistake, messy, and expensive. The tremclad is awesome paint, the "real orange" is an amazing hemi orange, and almost looks like it has some perl in the sun, awesome color right out of the can. I used this technique on my 1974 beetle also, here are the results:
here's a few pics of the charger done:

well that's my 2 cents worth, sorry for the long post. i was borred lol
i painted the orange beetle in 1999, and it still looks like the day i painted it, the 71 blue beetle i painted in 2000, and built the car for my dad, i used the same paint on my charger, maybe one day i'll spring for a good paint job, prepping is 90% of the work, stripping the car, sanding, ect.....painting is overrated!!!
So if you have TIME, then i'd say go for it, the worst that could happen is that it does'nt turn out and your out $50, but if your paitient, and expriement with lets say just the trunk pannel and if you like it do the whole car, if not just get it done by someone else for $4000. i don't know about you guys, but i would rather spend the $4000 on other parts like getting the mechanics sorted out and new chrome, cause when u have really nice paint and crappy bumpers, door handles it just sticks out more.

Should there be this many extra screws?
Kitten
Ottawa Fiero Member
Moving UP!

Unofficial Ottawa Fiero Club shutter bug

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 12:36:42 pm »

Lips Sealed

The excitement is in the curves.

Lead, Follow, Or get out of the way.
FieroBUZZ
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 01:11:52 pm »

One way or another it probably costs the same.  Either buying and spraying or spending your own time (which is worh money) wet sanding your car 200 times.

Of course, if you enjoy sanding....

One of he car mags did it for an article.  They figure it turned out okay, but needed about 30 coats. 

Also using rust preventative paint on a Fiero is a bit much.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: Paint Job Ideas « previous next »
Jump to: