Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:44:36 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: Racing-style seats « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Racing-style seats  (Read 3799 times)
MacPhail
« on: November 22, 2006, 04:06:03 pm »

Looking at putting new seats in the car to go along with a racing harness (thinking about trying out the Solo I stuff in the spring...at the very least, attend the driving school). 

What seats are the best fit/easiest to install (or are they all pretty well standard)?

Cheers, Derek
FieroBUZZ
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 05:03:42 pm »

These are presently on sale thru one of the vendors on redliners.ca

300.00 for a pair is a decent price.  Bear in mind that you will need to modify something to use as brackets/sliders.  This may raise or lower the seat from stock.  Also the Fiero seat is about 19" at the bottom and anything too wide will not fit.

Aftermarket seats differ a lot and I would recommend that you try the butt test before buying any.  What looks comfy may be pure hell, and vice versa.  I've sat in a few, but not in a Fiero so I don't know what to say.

From what I hear you may run into ticket trouble with a harness.  Some officers frown on a non stock setup nomatter how good it is.  You may need a bar or some plates to provide mounting points behind the seat as well.

Oh, and a harness is made to hold you in while racing.  You may find you can no longer reach the radio, drinkies, ashtray, switches, your wife, etc while driving.  Undecided
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 05:10:29 pm by not buzz till its done » Logged
MacPhail
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 06:03:19 pm »

Hmmm.....given the amount of restraint, perhaps a racing harness on the passenger side only.   Tongue

Maybe I'll stick with the stock seat and just have it recovered.  As for the seat belt, I guess I can just get a new one in a different colour and then stick with speakers in the seats (I was going to put mount speakers where the seat belt attaches near the sail panel).

Thanks for scaring me off Gary.  Wink

Cheers, Derek
FieroBUZZ
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 06:26:55 pm »

No problemo....... that's what we're here for.    Evil

They do look nice and you don't need a harness for the street.  It's just a matter of finding ones that feel good.  Like that chinese XXL shirt that looks like a ladies medium.

There is room in the side panel for a speaker.  they did come with the speakers there, just cut a hole where you want .  door, side panel, dash, custom pod, all pretty easy to do.
Kitten
Ottawa Fiero Member
Moving UP!

Unofficial Ottawa Fiero Club shutter bug

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 11:49:39 am »

There are also Corbeau and Sparco seats (click) ... and from the research I've done on both of them you can get adapters that work with the current bolt locations and/or the sliders for the stock seats.

What I'm considering once we get back to doing car stuff, is getting the racing seats but also keeping the stock seats.  Do what needs to be done to put in the 5 point harness in, but don't remove the stock seat belt.  Only put the racing seats in when they are needed... the rest of the time the stock seats stay in the car.

If you are looking at getting your seats recovered I can not praise MrMikes enough (click).  We did the seats in the red car, and I am definitely getting them for the white car when I get a chance.  Excellent service and the quality is top notch.

-S

The excitement is in the curves.

Lead, Follow, Or get out of the way.
MacPhail
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 01:05:35 pm »

Mr. Mike's has a Christmas sale on now.  I sent Santa a link to the black Vette style seats.   Afro

Cheers, Derek
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 05:30:03 pm »

Oh, and a harness is made to hold you in while racing.  You may find you can no longer reach the radio, drinkies, ashtray, switches, your wife, etc while driving.  Undecided

Yes, yes, yes...if you install a racing harness make sure you also keep the stock unit for regular driving.

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
MacPhail
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 05:46:51 pm »

I see from the Mr. Mike's site that you can convert the stock Fiero seat to accept a racing harness.

Cheers, Derek
2ML67
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 07:31:39 pm »

I installed a NHRA approved 5 point harness in an S10 along with a roll cage, every thing was done nice and strong. The first cop that noticed the set up gave him a ticket for improper seat belts and forced him to have the truck towed home so I would be carefull with after market seat belts. Dan
MacPhail
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 10:00:28 pm »

Hmmm....I'll have to ask someone at the police department in the town that I work about this, as well as consult the Highway Traffic Act.

Cheers, Derek
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 08:19:10 am »

Hmmm....I'll have to ask someone at the police department in the town that I work about this, as well as consult the Highway Traffic Act.

This is why if we ever get the car to that level, we intend to switch between racing seats and the OEM's "as required".  Original seats & belts shouldn't draw any attention from the cops, yet the 5-point gear & extra support will be there for track days.  Besides, it's not not as if it's difficult to switch out a seat.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
MacPhail
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 09:52:43 am »

I just heard back from a Police Chief who consulted with yet another Ontario Police Chief who both say that a racing harness is indeed legal is it meets the requirement of having shoulder and waist restraints. 

Cheers, Derek
FieroBUZZ
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 11:35:28 am »

I just heard back from a Police Chief who consulted with yet another Ontario Police Chief who both say that a racing harness is indeed legal is it meets the requirement of having shoulder and waist restraints. 

Cheers, Derek

If it will make you feel better, then get it in writing.  That way you'll have something to show in court when you have your 'say'.  Chances are pretty good that if you get the right (wrong?) officer, you will get a ticket.

That said, a racing harness is far superior for racing use.  Regular seatbelts are infinitely more practical for street use.   Azn

Try driving home from work with both shoulders securely planted into the seat back and don't move them forward at all.  For this test you could tie a noose around your neck and to the headrest.  I must warn you that this may cause some consternation for the medical examiner during his autopsy should something go awry.   Grin
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 01:28:57 pm by not buzz till its done » Logged
MacPhail
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006, 12:09:06 pm »

If life were about being "practical", I don't think I'd have a Fiero.   Wink

Will  you be coming to my place next weekend Gary???

Cheers, Derek
MacPhail
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2006, 06:44:27 pm »

Angry

Freakin' seats are a pain to get out.  I got the front 2 nuts off of the drivers seat but can't reach the back ones with the socket wrench.  Got one front nut off the passenger and rounded the sides off the other one.  The passenger seat doesn't slide...not that sliding the drivers helped me reach the back bolts.

Gary...where's that angle grinder of yours?!  Let's cut the freakin' things out and weld in new studs for the seats.   Shocked

Cheers, Derek
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: Racing-style seats « previous next »
Jump to: