Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 01:47:25 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: fiero308 Buildup thread (LOTS OF PIX!!!! ; )) « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Go Down Print
Author Topic: fiero308 Buildup thread (LOTS OF PIX!!!! ; ))  (Read 29848 times)
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #180 on: September 21, 2005, 08:33:10 am »

then on to the pesky standard 3.4 oil leak issue:
(or where oil issues from the engine......oh never mind)

Not knowing anything about the DOHC, prepare thyself for a potentially silly question:

Is there any reason why, the next time you have the heads off, you can't simply weld a plate over the once-upon-a-time distributor hole & be done with it?   Huh

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
fiero308
« Reply #181 on: September 21, 2005, 08:46:50 am »

hi Don
the 3.4 is a bastardized dohc based on the conventional 2.8 etc 60*V6 design. It retains the usual timing chain etc and employs a 'dummy shaft' in place of the camshaft, which in turn drives a shaft off the back end (distributor shaft) down to the oil pump. So that vertical shaft drops in like a distributor shaft would: from the top. What they REALLY missed the boat on here is that they should have made the cap so that it could come off WITHOUT taking the heads off (or cam carriers; which are prob more difficult to re&re - with the lifters all falling out etc!)

I have been looking at it thinking about how it could be turned into a much more straightforward dohc by driving directly from the crank and eliminating that dummy shaft, the chain drive to it, etc etc; but I would need to have an external oil pump. Not totally undoable (Chrysler has/had external oil pumps I believe) and a great excuse to go to a dry sump pump etc if $$ is not  an issue. (It is..... Roll Eyes )

But my (very busy) fave machine shop could do up gears and pulleys etc etc to do a drive system at not too bad $$,  I am sure; it is a matter of figuring things out a bit of course but this is not rocket science either. Gears and pulleys don't exactly break new ground...
Parde_GT
« Reply #182 on: December 30, 2005, 03:19:33 pm »

I'm really interested in reading your progress of using a 284 trans.  I am going to do the same so it is good to find your write up as you are really the only one with any info on it.

I'm from PFF and am looking at doing a N* 284 combo on an 88 cradle in my 87gt.

What clutch did you use for your setup?
fiero308
« Reply #183 on: January 11, 2006, 05:49:19 pm »

hmmmmm
guess I have been truant.  Didn't see this note.

My project is in the normal winter holding pattern for now; mostly due to temps but a few other factors as well. Temperature is a biggie; my garage is so stuffed that I pretty much HAVE to open the door to get around the rear of the car/engine/trans/cradle etc etc etc that are all at that end of the mess. I mean site.

Anyway
I think the 284 will be a tough trans once all the 'work arounds' are figured out.  The shifter linkage and setup among them..... the clutch can be only ONE type; it isn't the same as any other, at least according to any swap info the local shops can find. The shaft size and spline of the trans is unique it seems so that really limits what you can do clutch wise.
It also is a pull type hydraulic setup so you need to get all that stuff and adapt it as well. Driveshafts will most likely need to be modded somehow; my rebody is over 5" wider at the rear than a stock fiero so that is in my favour but I am still likely going to be doing something with them. I think I have a lead on a good fairly local shop to do that so not too worried; it is just another thing to do

anyway
good luck with your project; keep everyone informed.
GP
Parde_GT
« Reply #184 on: January 21, 2006, 02:32:48 pm »

What brand/series clutch did you go with?
fiero308
« Reply #185 on: January 24, 2006, 01:52:41 pm »

right now i am just keeping the stock clutch; i have 'one or two' other things to spend my $$ on with this car so first get it running and rolling before I start putting anything to exotic into it!!

There APPARENTLY is a clutch that a guy has used but I know nothing about it (and I am NOT 100% sure he is using a 284!?!?) or has it confused but will try to look it up in my records.

I figure that the 'stock' clutch was made for a vehicle that was 500 lbs heavier and of course with the 215hp engine so it should have an 'automatic' safety margin built into it...... they ARE pricey!!

fiero308
« Reply #186 on: March 30, 2006, 10:28:05 am »

well well well
finally back after a hibernation. Not much progress except in the decision making dept. Last yr was a stinker of a yr $$-wise so had to curtail activities accordingly.
One of the last things I did was to take my (16" IROC) front wheels in to the machine shop to get the inner rims turned down; (brake caliper clearancing)

that hasn't happened yet and I have told him NOT to. I am instead going to buy proper 17" rims from centreline. Unfortunately they came to their senses down there and increased their price per wheel almost $100 each. Still a good deal; simply more money now.

So I have to 're-mock-up' my wheels/rotors assy's again to be DEAD-ON sure of the offset (they like 'back set') before ordering as all sales of custom whls are final of course. So in the next wk or two I will do that.

Means I will have some parts to sell...... sigh. 16" IROC rims (with tires) that I searched all over for.
oh well.
In other news; I had a visitor from Georgia; Rick Beem who has a "ferraro" also; and also with the 3.4 dohc and is planning on using the 284 trans; all as I am doing; was in town so we had a nice bench racing session and visit. Really nice guy and obviously very successful at his business! Thanks for stopping in, Rick, if you ever check this site!

So I am hoping in the next 2 wks to get the wheels ordered.
I also am in a position to put the motor on the cradle and bolt it in place soon.  A bit to do on the left rear suspension but about a day will do it.

With the new arrival coming end april I have to make some space in the garage so that 'forces' me to get the thing rolling!

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: fiero308 Buildup thread (LOTS OF PIX!!!! ; )) « previous next »
Jump to: