Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:15:37 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: fiero308 Buildup thread (LOTS OF PIX!!!! ; )) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: fiero308 Buildup thread (LOTS OF PIX!!!! ; ))  (Read 29845 times)
fiero308
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2004, 04:29:07 pm »

Well I am sitting waiting for my control arms; AND it is kinda cold out there...AND I had to actually make a few bucks today....
but
I am going to try to post a file on here; not sure if it will work (windows metafile so maybe)
to show what my goal is with all this front end business.
The fiero has good ole Armstrong steering; nuthin wrong with that, but a lot of kitters seem to go with big offsets on their wheels AND/OR spacer plates and other things to try to get the wheels finishing out where they like.
this will have the effect of increasing the scrub radius and thus the effort to steer as well as a number of other issue.

I am going to try to optimize this; I have heard all kinds of stories about it is ideal to have ZERO and others saying you want a BIT, but I can't really think or imagine a reason to WANT scrub radius..... so I am going for zero.

now if this pic will load it will show how the combo of my custom hubs and spindles should help this situation.

ah darn.  .....wmf files not allowed.  I will have to see if I can convert it to one of the preferred formats.  My OLD version of autocad would do it easy!!!!  Newer NOT EQUAL TO better.......

try THIS!!
ok; now I know how; editted to downsize the pic.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 04:32:50 pm by fiero308 » Logged
FieroBUZZ
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2004, 11:37:06 am »

Yes, we are reading along,  Afro

There are bound to be people interested in the bracketry for the rear brakes.  Keep us in mind.

I drove mine for a few months without the steering damper.  The only reason I replaced it is that I found a new one for 25.00 and said what the heck.  It takes some of the sharp bangs out on the bad roads out here in the boonies.  If the extra feedback bothers you it may be worthwhile, but it isn't a biggie one way or the other.  Your modified suspension may be quite different.

Anyone likes Graeme's original wheels, I know where they are.  Azn
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2004, 01:17:05 pm »

but I can't really think or imagine a reason to WANT scrub radius..... so I am going for zero.

I'm with you there.

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
blutes
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2004, 12:36:59 am »

Keep it coming Graeme, it's nice to see you get all the bugs worked out first before I go ahead and copy exactly what you've done!!! Cheesy
                             brian.
fiero308
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2004, 07:05:28 am »

Keep it coming Graeme, it's nice to see you get all the bugs worked out first before I go ahead and copy exactly what you've done!!! Cheesy
                             brian.

and that is exactly what this is about, of course; to spread and share info.  So feel free to take anything that is of use and ask any questions; I will be happy to answer what I can.
Graeme
cowans
Fiero Know-it-all

I'm a llama!

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2004, 08:06:11 pm »

OK, I'm in the Christmas spirit....! Want Graeme & all to re-engineer! HEHEH! Have some pics of my new suspension and 'say what'.... Power Steering with coilovers, extended rack, larger brakes, etc... OHHH my GOD....!
I don't know how to post pics here... I'm not sure if I'm hitting a BLANK or what???
tell me and I'll share!....HOHOHO! Afro
Sandy
fiero308
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2004, 11:37:06 pm »

hey Sandy
look under "additional options" just below the text window and it will let you attach files; max of 2.
Look forward to it!!
cowans
Fiero Know-it-all

I'm a llama!

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2004, 03:15:37 pm »

Ok, finally found "Additional Options" after searching this entire site. Surprisingly, it is placed with the "Reply" area, not like other sites! Anyway, here are some pics!
cowans
Fiero Know-it-all

I'm a llama!

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2004, 03:17:12 pm »

and more...
cowans
Fiero Know-it-all

I'm a llama!

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2004, 03:19:52 pm »

finally....
fiero308
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2004, 08:18:36 pm »

Thanks! Sandy
that is interesting; you have a lot of travel on the shock which is going to give you more creature comfort of course, but it looks REALLY close for clearance between the spring and the upper control arm; is that just me?  Another pic of that maybe?  And what is happening/what does it look like INSIDE the wheel well at the top shock mount?  I am trying to picture what is up there and how javascript:replaceText(' Shocked', document.postmodify.message);
Shockedit all fits........Huh
inner tie rod on the rack; is that a stock item; an 88 maybe?  I have no idea; of course you are using some other type of rack.
ARe those fiero front hubs machined down?  Would be interesting to see the 'plate' (aluminum caliper mounting plate) from a side view.......
what calipers are you using?
The lower arms LOOK stock but they must be extended.....right?  Did you get that done or buy them from somewhere?
all these QUESTions..... lol   Huh
thanks!
g
cowans
Fiero Know-it-all

I'm a llama!

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2004, 05:02:58 pm »

Grame, to answer some of your questions....
The shock really does not have all that much travel. Actually the pics without it are just below ride height. When all is back together, I have around 1.5" to 2" from the top of the tire(255/45/17) to the upper rail. The shocks are gas, and with no weight, extend themselves, and that created an 'enlarged' travel!They really compress quite a bit with weight on them!The front  hubs are Fiero with, I believe, pontiac 6000 dual rotors(drilled)and calipers . The rear also has 6000 hubs, calipers and dual rotors,although I had to change them for STE rears(single rotor) to accomodate an E-brake. This was a CK3 design, and unfortunately, thay did not share info to much before they went under. Mt wheel studs are longer to bolt down my new wheels! The power rack is out of a 87-89 Dakota with 2" (Held) extensions screwed into a 'cutdown' Fiero outer ball! Lock to lock is 3 turns. Yes, my upper A arm has lots of clearance, so much so that I investigated installing some new 'Shockwave' airbags instead of the shock/spring. but $2000 was a bit too pricey! Here are some pics of the aluminum caliper brackets that I knew you would be asking about....
Sandy
cowans
Fiero Know-it-all

I'm a llama!

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2004, 05:07:23 pm »

Oh, the frt rotors are 10 1/4".here's an inside shot of the right side.
Sandy
fiero308
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2004, 05:28:41 pm »

thx!
did you say something about 12" rotors or a brake upgrade or is that my chronic hallucinatory state carrying on as usual......
Huh
did you investigate the Zettner rear?
it is (I think) pretty simple to do if you already have a setup (unlike me... Undecided )

cowans
Fiero Know-it-all

I'm a llama!

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2004, 08:20:15 pm »

thx!
did you say something about 12" rotors or a brake upgrade or is that my chronic hallucinatory state carrying on as usual......
Huh
Graeme, refer to the previous reply....
they are 10 1/4 rotors... close to the labaron upgrade...
Sandy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: fiero308 Buildup thread (LOTS OF PIX!!!! ; )) « previous next »
Jump to: