Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 11:30:54 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: Axle Support Bearings « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Poll
Question: Are they worth it for the mid-term?
Yes
No
Unsure

Author Topic: Axle Support Bearings  (Read 6988 times)
fiero308
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2005, 01:02:36 pm »

hi Don
just following up on this as I am getting a bit more interested in trannies etc now.

Did you do anything or conclude anything on this?  Any response from that place in Mississauga?  If not, did you keep after them at all?

LMK
g
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2005, 09:25:21 am »

Did you do anything or conclude anything on this?

I haven't done anything about it, no.  A fortunate side-effect of upgrading Sacha's car to the '86 drivetrain was lack of leaky axle seals, so I took the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach this time.

I probabily will use them in the tranny that will be going in with my slow-motion L67 swap though.  Unless I see anything futher between then & now, I'm of the opinion that they're a good thing in the long run, and that the lubrication problem I found mentioned on PFF is an isolated incident.

Any response from that place in Mississauga?  If not, did you keep after them at all?

No, not a thing.  Not all businesses use e-mail reliably though; I'll be phoning them instead when I pick this up again.  If you don't want to wait for me (highly advisable not to  Roll Eyes ), it's King-O-Matic (Mississauga) 905-624-4628 (assuming that TeckPak-Fitzall's distributor list is up-to-date).

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
fiero308
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2005, 12:38:50 pm »

Did you do anything or conclude anything on this?

I haven't done anything about it, no.  A fortunate side-effect of upgrading Sacha's car to the '86 drivetrain was lack of leaky axle seals, so I took the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach this time.

I probabily will use them in the tranny that will be going in with my slow-motion L67 swap though.  Unless I see anything futher between then & now, I'm of the opinion that they're a good thing in the long run, and that the lubrication problem I found mentioned on PFF is an isolated incident.

Any response from that place in Mississauga?  If not, did you keep after them at all?

No, not a thing.  Not all businesses use e-mail reliably though; I'll be phoning them instead when I pick this up again.  If you don't want to wait for me (highly advisable not to  Roll Eyes ), it's King-O-Matic (Mississauga) 905-624-4628 (assuming that TeckPak-Fitzall's distributor list is up-to-date).

OK
Can you let me know p/n's and I might call just out of curiousity.  (free LD...  Wink)  Here or email me; whatever......
I think I read that they need to be aligned 'exactly so' - to permit an oiling hole to line up with a slot or some such thing to - yes - allow lubrication oil to get into them from the trans..... that could be the cause of failure or else possibly too much silicone sealant plugging up same hole.... Sad  which would be a bummer.  I also understand that once installed they are almost impossible to get out (at least without ruining them...)

It is the failure and proof of runtime that I would like to know about but I think Sandy indicated that he is very happy with them.

cowans
Fiero Know-it-all

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2005, 01:24:50 pm »

The reasons I like them are:
1) I'm running much longer axles...ie: could use any extra support!
2) Fiero trannies with higher kms tend to have a large planetary gear that becomes quite 'loose' or 'floating'. These keep it somewhat inside the cases.
Hey, it's an extra bearing in each side...
WARNING: read installation instructions fully before just pounding them in!
Sandy
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2005, 01:48:16 pm »

Can you let me know p/n's and I might call just out of curiousity.

The manufacturer's part number is 75125LRB.

fiero308
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2005, 05:44:07 pm »

(translate as "bump"....)
just checking, Don
did you get any or do any more on this? I haven't but now that it is maybe starting to threaten less cold weather I will call that place in TO unless you have etc.  LMK

gp
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2005, 08:03:05 am »

'fraid I haven't done anything about it yet.

At the very latest I'll be looking in to them somewhen between mid- and late-summer, when I have the "new" cradle set up and I'm ready to start preparing/mounting the transmission.

I may end up looking in to them sooner though, depending upon the results of some other work I hope to be doing soon.  I have one last thing to eliminate before I start pointing a finger at the differential carrier bearings of my current transmission.   Undecided

fiero308
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2005, 11:34:54 pm »

well I am going to call them (and see if a live person answers....)
but in the meantime; if ANYONE does in fact order a set, I would REALLY appreciate a chance to see them and measure them to see if they might fit my (slightly different) Getrag 284 tranny.

I am hoping/guessing that they might fit, but don't want to spend the money on a set just on that.
So
let me know anyone if you don't mind and thanks in advance!
GP
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2005, 09:03:23 am »

if ANYONE does in fact order a set, I would REALLY appreciate a chance to see them and measure them to see if they might fit my (slightly different) Getrag 284 tranny.

If you like, pop out one of the OEM axle seals from your 284, and measure the depth & diameter of the seat.  I'll do the same with the four-speed I plan on using them for, and we can compare notes.  At worst you'll be out a $10 seal.

fiero308
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2005, 09:12:40 am »

hi Don
yes; I will do that and get back to you. Don't hold your breath; it won't be today.
It is march break..... Sad
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2005, 06:33:08 pm »

I dragged the transmission out of its cave over the weekend, and took the measurements a few minutes ago.

The diameter of the seal's seat is 2.16"; the depth from the lip of the case to the carrier bearing race is between 0.54" and 0.53" depending upon where I measure it from.

fiero308
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2005, 08:57:37 am »

thx Don;
I have to get a bit of space cleared before I can try to pull my engine/trans out to - oh yeah - fix the broken 'dolly' it is sitting on (wood isn't the best solution) so there are THREE extra projects. 
1.  Motivate son to put away snowblower.  Put padlock on frig...... again........
2.  Now that there is space, Pull engine from pile of wiring and parts
3.  Fix/build new engine dolly

(time passes)

4.  NOW...... look at trans/axle bearings...
what is it? April?  Gary might have a chance here.........hmmmm
alarm sets in.  Shocked
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2005, 08:50:23 am »

I may end up looking in to them sooner though, depending upon the results of some other work I hope to be doing soon.  I have one last thing to eliminate before I start pointing a finger at the differential carrier bearings of my current transmission.   Undecided

Fast-forward to now, and I have a set of them installed in the 4-speed I'm currently driving on.  The fit between the inner CV joints & the transaxle was sloppy, and was the last suspect in my search for the cause of a rear-end vibration.

Haven't had the car out yet since the install; I wanted to let the sealant cure overnight before refilling the tranny.  Will comment on their effectiveness later.

Total bill was a hair over $100 (CDN) from Rodney D.; we'll see what King-O-Matic can do once I start working on the swap transaxle.

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2005, 01:23:19 pm »

Haven't had the car out yet since the install; I wanted to let the sealant cure overnight before refilling the tranny.  Will comment on their effectiveness later.

Note that I neglected to mention just how much later, "later" actually meant.  Wink

Inner CV joints are definitely better supported; a fair comparison of the before/after fit would be replacing the hinge pins & bushings in a well-used door.  Rear-end vibes are definitely down a bit too.

fiero308
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2005, 03:27:07 pm »

hey
it  RUNS!!!!!!! don't complain!

good to get the consumer feedback tho
thx Don
this up and down yr I am having is evidently not finished with me yet.

hmmmm
gotta arrange having "no work" WITH "having money". The two just don't seem to go together.
hmmmm

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: Axle Support Bearings « previous next »
Jump to: