Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 08:13:41 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: 6 speed 450+ hp transmission « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 6 speed 450+ hp transmission  (Read 4092 times)
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« on: September 11, 2003, 12:06:32 pm »

Is anyone else keeping up with the progress on this awesome transmission?

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/035696.html

DKOV not the other link.

Aaron

« Last Edit: September 11, 2003, 12:08:02 pm by aaron88 » Logged

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2003, 12:51:41 pm »

Not really.  

Sounds like it'll be a beautiful transmission when complete, tested, etc., but to be honest I got tired of wading past the way-to-go's, I want's, and top-of-page bumps to the real content some time ago.   Sad

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
FieroBUZZ
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2003, 01:03:18 pm »

Sounds nice!  For the driving I do the four speed that I have (3:65) is fine.  Anything more would be overkill.

If I get the urge, I may take it apart and mix the gears from the 4 speeds for a better overall match.
2ML67
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2003, 05:29:24 pm »

Tranny is not the problem it is those lousy axle shafts that hurt or so I have been told and told and told... Dan
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2003, 06:55:46 pm »

It’s a whole transaxle kit not just a transmission.  Axles are good for 450+ too. Wink

But I hear that you have a driver abuse problem with your axles.  Poor things? Grin

Aaron

« Last Edit: September 11, 2003, 06:58:17 pm by aaron88 » Logged

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
GSXRBOBBY
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2003, 08:22:42 pm »

It sounds like a dream come true!
GoFast85
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 01:43:37 pm »

interesting
http://www.westcoastfiero.com/transmission/transmission.html
GSXRBOBBY
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 01:54:28 pm »

I am not about to bad mouth anybody, but I would really rethink anything coming from DKOV, I have been hearing alot of bad things, just a heads up!
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 03:21:43 pm »

I'm waiting for testing results on DKOV before I buy anything.  But it seems that he may have been talking out of his ass, we'll see, time will tell.

I am keeping my eye on a few different transmissions in hopes that one will prove worthy, without breaking the bank.  By that I mean in the $2000 range.

Aaron

fiero308
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2004, 10:39:50 am »

is this the one that is based on the Acura NSX trans?
or something like that?  I read a few of those threads, but like Don, got tired of all the reading thru "I wants"  and  "Cool!" etc etc etc

but ONE of those threads (but which board?) did admit that they were basing it on an Acura transaxle; I THOUGHT it was an NSX.
I know a top Acura mechanic; he has helped with a racing NSX and he is a bit surprised at the hype.......... remember, he usually only sees these things in 'broken' form......
but it is interesting.  He mentioned that when they took out the 5 spd and put in the 6 spd the car's lap times (Mosport) went UP.
hmmmm.   I LIKE the idea of a 6 spd.  It just sounds so......EXOTIC. 
But........when you are separated from the next place contender by .4 seconds, then shifting time MIGHT be a consideration.  But for street, it is just fun "rowing thru the gears"!! 
should be interesting, and nice to finally have a strong trans for a manual setup.
Are you going to keep following this, Aaron?
gp
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 04:49:47 pm »

DKOV is a dead thread.  Apparently he wasn't willing to commit what it was going to take.  He probably thought it was a good idea but can't seem to talk the manufacturer into running off a low production number.

However the Acura NSX transmission that West Coast Fiero is working on is basically just that.  An Acura NSX transmission with a custom mounting kit and new shift cables, and a bent piece of metal to weld into that spot in your frame that you have to cut to get this thing in.  Although having a kit ready made for you is nice I don’t think this one is going to be worth the price since it’s not really a custom transmission.

As for 5 speed vs 6 speed.  It would be nice for those with really powerful engines to have a larger overdrive this isn’t what the six speed does.  The gear ration on the final drive for the five speed is the same as the final drive on the six peed.  Meaning that the six speed is only good for people with really small or low powered motors.  In a comparison like this one the five speed will always out perform the six speed because of the shifting time.  Also motors with wide powerbands don’t need the extra gearing just higher gears.

The thread to watch now if you are looking for a high powered transmission is the five speed here (WCF).

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/056120.html

But if any of you want this transmission I may be able to put in your fiero for a much better price (that’s if we can get a transmission at a decent price).

Aaron

stroker
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2004, 09:16:43 pm »

some dude that just came into my shop claim's that he bought an 88 fiero at an action in montreal and found a northstar with a saab six speed in there.
that was in 1998
and brags that the car was running 9.56 in sanair.
could he be telling the truth and anyone ever heard of this supposed car?? Undecided

marc the stroker.
fiero308
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2004, 10:40:41 pm »

9.56?HuhHuhHuhHuh??

that is more than 'just a northstar'...........
think about how much power you need to go that fast, REGARDLESS of the trans.
Going thru that many gears on a drag strip eats up time, too.

and the super stock guys run autos to get that or else a specialty trans.
9.56???
That is 650+hp range I would guess. 
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2005, 04:53:16 pm »

I would have to call BS on that one.  There is a Saab transmission that I’ve heard of that should work but I’ve never seen on installed.  But a six speed isn’t as fast as the five speed and that has been proven over and over again.  The best times at the track are made with a tall third and starting from zero in second gear, not first.  Expect stock northstar Fiero’s to run 12’s.

If it’s not stock anything can be done.  To get 9.5 in the ¼ mile in a fiero at about 2600 lb one would also need 700 hp at the flywheel.

Aaron

fiero308
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2005, 05:28:08 pm »

Aaron; what Saab trans or car would that be, do youknow?
I am interested in checking out ANY HD transaxle in any european car.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: 6 speed 450+ hp transmission « previous next »
Jump to: