Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 04:54:30 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Winter storage « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Winter storage  (Read 2008 times)
MacPhail
« on: October 23, 2006, 09:23:31 pm »

What difference does it make to store a car indoors vs covered up outside for the winter (in a manner that prevents the elements - and rodents - from getting underneath it)?

I'm looking into renting space for the winter, but if there isn't really a difference, should I save my money???

Cheers, Derek
FieroBUZZ
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 06:11:10 am »

Indoors is better, but you'll probably get snoopy rodents at either.  If it helps, I watched a mouse last winter nibbling away at a moth ball for about 15 minutes with no obvious problems.   Undecided

Check the heater fan box in the frunk in the spring.  That's the most popular spot for nests or leaves to gather.  The heaer then can ignite these for a preventable fire.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 08:47:44 am »

What Gary said, plus it never hurts to stuff the nastiest, oiliest rags you can find up the tailpipes.  You would not believe the volume of nesting material I once blew out of an exhaust system when firing up an outdoor "stored" parts car for the first time.   Roll Eyes

We're storing the '85 outside this year, 'cause we need the room to work on the bikes and the 5.0 over the winter.  Jack stands, a cover, battery inside on a solar tender, and every major orifice plugged.  I'm probably going to bag the rims or at least lean boards up against them to prevent errant snow shovel damage.

Don't forget to remove or at least dilute any summer windshield juice with the winter version.  Smiley

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
2ML67
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 06:12:33 pm »

It is also a good idea to either remove the battery and add a fuel stabalizer or else start it up once a month and let her run for a while. In either case the fuel tank needs to be filled or emptied. Its also a good idea to throw on a cheap set of tires or even four spare tires as it is best to store with the weight still on the suspension. I have a few mini spares from Fiero's you are welcome to for storing your car.  Luckily for me I have a shed large enough to hold my car its a tight fit but atleast its out of the weather. Dan
MacPhail
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 10:06:35 pm »

I was thinking about parking her on pieces of 2 x 4 or foam insulation to keep it off of the cement, but thank you for the offer Dan.   Afro

Must get organized and make a couple of calls tomorrow.  I don't think I'll find a place that will let me visit and tinker with the interior over the winter.  I'm going to end up going through some really bad withdrawl.   Cry

Cheers, Derek
2ML67
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 07:53:51 pm »

Best is to put a tarp under the car during storage either inside or outside it cuts down on the moisture. Dan
FieroBUZZ
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 09:54:58 pm »

Yep, lay plastic or a tarp underneath, and keep the weight on the suspension.  Using old wheels and tires will prevent your bling rims and tires from suffering from flat spots from sitting.  I was going to recommend using a car cover rather than a tarp to wrap it so as not to damage the custom paint  ...but  Roll Eyes

If you are really keen, you can get that storage oil fogging spray (cans) and squirt around underneath for extra protection against rust.  It'll wash off in the spring at the car wash.

I've been reading argument for and against a full tank of gas.  Sort of crappy quality gas vs condensation.  If you keep it where you can get at it, i'd start it up and run it for a while when you can.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 09:15:08 am »

Regarding the "start it up and run it once in a while" comments...

A word of advice--if you're going to do this and the car is stored outdoors or in an unheated shelter which drops below freezing, don't just idle the car for a while and shut it off.  Either run it long enough so that you don't want to touch the tail pipes with a bare hand, or wait until it warms up and give it a few hard shots on the accelerator to blow any accumulated condensation out of the exhaust system.

You'd be surprised how much water can accumulate in a muffler or other low spots near the end of the exhaust system if all you do is the occasional idle during the winter. 

Prior to realizing what was happening and working around it, we've actually had ice plugs form in the exhaust system rendering the car un-startable until the next thaw.   Roll Eyes

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
2ML67
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 04:46:24 pm »

I usually let mine run for at least fifteen minutes till the heater blows nice warm air and the thermostat has opened, I also put it in gear and move back and forth a few feet then rev her up pretty good to clean every thing before shutting off. Dan
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 05:45:23 pm »

http://www.fierodrivers.com/forum/index.php?topic=2075.0

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Winter storage « previous next »
Jump to: