Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Window tint removal? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Window tint removal?  (Read 2596 times)
GSXRBOBBY
« on: January 26, 2004, 10:31:53 pm »

I bought this 86 GT used about 3 months ago and along with all of the other problems I have to fix I need to remove the old window tint that is on there. I have no idea how old the tint is but its on the door windows and rear window. I am just going to remove the door windows with a razor blade but I need help getting the rear window tint off and be able to save the rear defrogger, or as much as I can. Any good advise from someone that has been around tint alot?
JAYGT
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 01:54:14 am »

the best thing i have found for gettin the goo off the window is fibreglass resin thinner.  its at canadian tire right beside the resin and fibreglass.  dont remember the exact name. small steel can and no its not paint thinner. after you use the razor blade use it to get the glue off.   Grin
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 09:21:57 am »

Nail polish remover should disolve the adhesive as well, though I imagine you'll still have to peel the tint off first.

Fibreglass thinner might work through the tinting film.  Wink

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
GSXRBOBBY
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 12:42:38 pm »

I would like to find something to just put on the tint, tring to peel it off is hard its coming off in really small pieces and that is going to take forever.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 09:51:31 am »

heat gun?

GSXRBOBBY
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 07:39:33 pm »

I thought a heat gun will make the old tint rip easier?
JAYGT
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 12:44:07 am »

heat gun is a good idea.  the name of the magical tint remover is acetone.  it made an impossible job easy.  couldnt find anything to get that glue off untill i found that stuff. Grin
GSXRBOBBY
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004, 06:31:56 pm »

acetone, thats the kind of thing I was looking for, thank you
a.k.a
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2004, 01:51:47 pm »

Acetone or Acresol is the best bet...unless you are an environmentalist  Grin

If you are, start by peeling off one corner , and run hot / soapy water behind the film to release the glue...

I did this trick on my lead sled some years ago now, ( caddie with purple windows ?  Lips Sealed <--- PUKE! )

hth
Marc
GSXRBOBBY
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2004, 09:17:54 pm »

environmentalist  Roll Eyes I thought they all killed themselves when the one comet went by a year ago or so? HAHAHA  Grin
GoFast85
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2004, 07:28:01 am »

The skuddlebut has it that an environmental group is trying to get winter windshield washer fluid banned. Millions of gallons of the stuff is used each winter and rooles off of the windshield contaminating the ground.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2004, 08:35:43 am »

The skuddlebut has it that an environmental group is trying to get winter windshield washer fluid banned. Millions of gallons of the stuff is used each winter and rooles off of the windshield contaminating the ground.

I wonder if they've considered the environmental impact of the increased amount of antifreeze soaking in to the ground should they get their way?

Cause & effect.  Eliminate a driver's ability to see in front of them, and there'll be more colissions & ruptured radiators.   Roll Eyes

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Window tint removal? « previous next »
Jump to: