Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 07:44:17 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: any interest in 2.8 head flows, areas etc? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: any interest in 2.8 head flows, areas etc?  (Read 1632 times)
fiero308
« on: April 19, 2003, 09:34:47 am »

just wondering if there is any interest here in seeing facts or comparative info on the stock 2.8 heads; ie compared to the 3.1 aluminum heads etc for x-sect'l areas, comparative (!) flows etc.
I have very graciously been 'loaned' Wink a set of 2.8 cast iron heads by Gary to do some testing on and I already have a set of 3.1 aluminum heads from an SFI car; the visual difference is considerable and I expect the flow numbers will follow suit.  I will post some pix to show what I mean shortly.
I am toying with the idea of making a simple flow bench that will do comparative flow measurements (NOT absolute!) to see if and what mods do or do not work.  (Some mods may be detrimental).

So my question is (this is probably a poll, I guess) is whether this would be of any real value to anyone here or not. It seems to me that people in this area simply swap their engine if they want more hp, and don't really get into mods too much. This info may be of use to someone who is considering some upgrades but wants to know if it may be worthwhile or not. It may be of particular interest to the 3.4 camaro engine crowd (incl ME) as they swap the little 2.8 heads on to the bigger 3.4 which is what got me started on this whole topic.
Anyway, let me know; I might make this my son's science project.... LOL Roll Eyes (means I finish it.....)
FieroDough
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2003, 09:24:24 am »

I have desktop dyno, get me all the specs on the head (flow rate, spring rate, vales ect and I can do a virtual dyno on a 2.8L see what the outcome is. Smiley

fiero308
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2003, 09:35:53 am »

thanks Eric but I would not have any "real" flow numbers; all I would be able to do is 'compare' ie, one head to another by doing a homemade angled pitot-tube type of manometer. The numbers would not be in any measurable flow quantities; altho I will think about that and see if I can come up with something; I guess I could calculate the velocity of the air and areas and then figure something out with absolute figures, but then absolute atmospheric comes into play, elevation, and all those goodies.
Mostly what I want to do is to compare one head to another on a simple incline tube hooked up to my shop vac outlet and see how two (or more) heads compare, especially with mods, just to get an idea if they work.

Most vacuum cleaners now push over 90" of water column and that is a trick just to get a baseline measurement on the output to atmospheric (doing a setup rig)......

The stock head has a "shark fin" in the intake port. I have seen that before and it would be interesting to eliminate it and port that out extensively (as possible - which isn't much!!)  and do a comparison to the new.

I might fiddle with the absolutes but that is a secondary goal at this point.  I am trying to cut back on my project a bit in order to simply get it on the road this yr..................
signed - The new lord of the motionless fiero! Undecided
FieroDough
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2003, 09:44:45 am »

we can find the specks on the net for the 3.1 head.

Don't remove the shark fin! there was a discussion on this before on PFF, the fin acts to help atomise the fuel and prevent. (what is the word... ) Turbulence.

Get an exaust manofold gasket, scribe the countour of the exaust port and remove the excess material, same can be done on the manifld itself. then smooth everything ober nicely. you will get excelent results!

Eric
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: any interest in 2.8 head flows, areas etc? « previous next »
Jump to: