Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 03:23:00 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Off Topic  |  Other  |  Topic: Pellet stoves « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pellet stoves  (Read 1135 times)
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« on: October 22, 2007, 08:59:28 am »

Pellet Stove eh? How do you like it? Is it cheap to run one of those?

I don't yet know how it compares to other heating methods--this will be our first year trying to exclusively use it to heat the house.  If you shop around, hardwood pellets can be purchased for between $5 and $5.25 per 40lb bag.  Home Depot sells bags of pellets for about $4.75/bag, but as far as I can tell it's a hard/soft wood mix of unknown proportions.  We haven't tried corn or other alternatives.

Last year we had it running from mid-December through to the end of March or so.  I was trying to regulate it's temperature by hand, but had the elec. baseboards on as well.  Based on our hydro bill and subsequent experimenting, I'd say that the stove was helping but being used nowhere near to its potential.  We used about 80 bags of pellets in that period.

This year we have the stove set up to self-regulate via an external thermostat, and have added a homebrew forced-air system.  We're going to leave the baseboards on at a low, "oops we let the stove go out" setting, but we're hoping that they'll never actually kick in.  Only time & Old Man Winter will tell.  Smiley

If you can make it out to the December get-together I'll give you the $0.10 tour if you like.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 09:01:29 am by dguy » Logged

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
Kitten
Ottawa Fiero Member
Moving UP!

Unofficial Ottawa Fiero Club shutter bug

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 10:13:36 am »

Another note about pellet stoves is if the power goes out you still don't have any heat.... it still needs some electricity to run some of the internals.

The excitement is in the curves.

Lead, Follow, Or get out of the way.
can machine
Moving UP!

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 06:20:12 pm »

Thanks for all the info. Good point about the when the power goes out.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Off Topic  |  Other  |  Topic: Pellet stoves « previous next »
Jump to: