Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:11:53 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Looking for some ... information? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looking for some ... information?  (Read 1652 times)
JetJumper
Jetjumper
FORUM MASTER
MASTER FIERO

« on: August 07, 2006, 11:04:06 pm »

Hey guys, I haven't been chatting much for a while, but I am still reading in the background! Tongue

So, my question is... I am going to be picking up a fiero hopefully this year before winter hits, and of course the motor is the first thing to change in it.  Now, what I want to know, is if anyone has ever tried Paddle Shifting for a job to setup?  I know its a huge job, but I am just curious before I go out and get a 3800SC.  From what I am away of, I would have to either get a Porsche, Ferrari, mini cooper, etc.. motor/tranny and then somehow attach the paddles from thier steering wheel to mine. 

So, anyone ever think of doing this?  Let me know your comments!

Thanks, and hopefully I will have a fiero soon enough!

-----------------------
JetTech
www.jetjumper.ca
-----------------------
JetJumper
Jetjumper
FORUM MASTER
MASTER FIERO

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 11:47:59 pm »

well, doing a bit of digging, and I came up with this site here

http://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com/content-4.html

So, from the looks of things, I need to find one of these tranny's and a motor to go along with it

GM:
·4T80E, 4T60E, 4T65E, 4L80E, 4L85E, 4L60E, 4L65E, 4L70E

Now, I am not too familier with Tranny part codes.. so, this all means jibberish to me still. :|

Maybe Dan, can you shed some light?  Do you happen to know what cars these would be in? and also preferred something with a 3800SC? Smiley

-----------------------
JetTech
www.jetjumper.ca
-----------------------
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 04:07:40 am »

I think there is  a guy on PFF that makes paddles for your tranny (3.Cool.

Look it up on there and you get some huge thread to read through.

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 08:26:54 am »

So, from the looks of things, I need to find one of these tranny's and a motor to go along with it

GM:
·4T80E, 4T60E, 4T65E, 4L80E, 4L85E, 4L60E, 4L65E, 4L70E

You'll often find a 4T60E bolted to the back of a L67, so I imagine that you should be able to find yourself a motor and an electronically shifted transmission all in one shot.

edit:  see Dan's post below.

I think there is  a guy on PFF that makes paddles for your tranny (3.Cool.

Chris the guy to search for is user id ryan.hess on PFF.  Pretty sure the thread ended up in GFC.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 10:21:04 am by dguy » Logged

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
FieroBUZZ
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 09:16:20 am »

4 (# of forward gears)
T (Transverse or "L" Longitudinal)
60 (tranny code 65- newer L67 or 80 N*)
E (Electronic controlled, may have HD for heavy duty)

Do yourself a favour and buy a decent car.  Spend 1000 on a car and 2500 to make it paddle shift is retarded.
2ML67
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 10:09:53 am »

4T60E was used till 97 on non SC cars. 98 up all got the 4T65E tranny. With super charged cars 96 got the 4T60E, 97 and newer got the 4T65E. The 4T65E HD came only on the super charged cars difference between the 65E and the 65E HD is the differential is stronger and the axle shaft inner is also larger in diameter. The 4T60E was not fully computer controlled it still had a vacuum modulator. The 4T65E was fully controlled by the computer. The 4T60E used on SC cars in 96 also had the HD differences. For engines the GTP got the 3800SC starting in 97 only 96's to get the 3800SC series II were the Bonneville SSEi, Park Ave Ultra, Oldsmobile LSS and the Rivierra. For swaps the newer the combo the better. 96's had poor exhaust manifolds, late 98 and 99 up got larger throttle bodies you can tell by the part # on the MAF sensor those ending in a 4 are older type those in a 5 are newer. Dan
c-l
Global Moderator
Moving UP!

Ottawa Fiero Club President

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 10:25:39 am »

From what I am away of, I would have to either get a Porsche, Ferrari, mini cooper, etc.. motor/tranny and then somehow attach the paddles from thier steering wheel to mine.

Chris,

If I understand your post correctly, you should be looking at a Grand Prix GXP engine / trany instead of a 3800SC  Evil Evil Evil

Engine   5.3 litre V8, OHV, 16 valves, D.O.D.
Horsepower   303 @ 5600 rpm
Torque   323 @ 4400 rpm
Transmission   4-speed automatic with Tapshift manual

"The standard four-speed automatic transmission, which has been beefed up for the V8's extra torque, shifts smoothly and quietly. Shifting manually with the "TapShift" requires moving the floor shifter back a notch into the 'M' position, and then using the 'paddles' on the steering wheel to shift up and down. Both paddles operate the same way: push forward to shift up, pull back to shift down."

......... There is always a way!
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 10:33:02 am »

Do yourself a favour and buy a decent car.  Spend 1000 on a car and 2500 to make it paddle shift is retarded.

Gary has a point, Chris.  Unless you get lucky, if you start with a cheap car you're forever going to be playing catch-up with other maintenance items and oddities before you get to the swap.  Either that or you'll get the swap done, then spend the next year or two wishing you could drive it when the "little stuff" comes back to bite you in the ass.

Been there, done that, sold the t-shirt factory.   Roll Eyes

If you want a good base car for a swap, $2,500 cash (negot. within reason) will see that 84 you used to own back in your hands.  All it needs at this point is exterior paint, the usual interior flaws repaired, and some detailing.  It's mechanically and structurally solid from nose to tail.  No bull.

edit:  Besides, then y'know that photo in your avatar could be of your car, instead of someone else's.  Wink
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 11:55:58 am by dguy » Logged

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
2ML67
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 03:42:56 pm »

The paddle shift option did come on some of the Grand Prix's with the 3800SC but only on the newer ones and finding one of those at a wreckers for a decent price will be  almost impossible. Would go with as new an engine as you can afford to buy and mount it all into a good shape Fiero. Dan
Gizmo
FORUM MASTER
Moving UP!

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 07:18:44 pm »

I should get the top gear crew to chime in here on their opinion of the flappy paddle gearbox....  Cheesy
MacPhail
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 11:38:42 pm »

I should get the top gear crew to chime in here on their opinion of the flappy paddle gearbox....  Cheesy

Clarkson would poo-poo the paddle.   Tongue

Cheers, Derek
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 12:08:47 am »

Clarkson would poo-poo the paddle.   Tongue

Cheers, Derek

So would I

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Looking for some ... information? « previous next »
Jump to: