Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:50:00 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Ever feel you have a lemon? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ever feel you have a lemon?  (Read 4396 times)
88formula
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 08:06:45 pm »

its in perfect shape, minus the running condition haha
can machine
Moving UP!

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 10:11:08 pm »

Are you sure he never worked on Fiero's in the past. I seem to remember a notchie with roof mounted air intakes sitting there all the time a few years ago.
88formula
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 06:26:23 pm »

he has worked on them but despises them
i know the guy accross the street has a black one with a  v8, or somewhere around him
88formula
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 09:28:23 pm »

I got it back!
so after the wires, distributor, timing chain, water pump, and cpm were changed, oh and i forgot to mention the wiring problems, SHE LIVES Smiley
I had a conversation with my mechanic after picking it up and he said he was frustrated and almost torched the thing, understandable after not getting the thing running time after time..

but I thought i would share my happiness as it has been a month since its ran (even though all you have yours in storage) i've missed driving it, and driving it in the snow makes me want to always have a winter fiero, even if in the future I have a summer fiero!
can machine
Moving UP!

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 08:03:26 pm »

I've seen the black notchie sitting across the road from him. I never would of guessed it had a V8 in it. I have not seen it lately.
88formula
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 08:37:19 pm »

Well, this thing is really starting to get on my nerves....
but after having it running for a week, with basically everything replaced, it has died again...
I ended up driving through a puddle and it just turned off.
waited, started for 1 minute, died...
I'm thinking  the prime suspect is oil pressure guage. oh and the tach reads 0 when cranking, and when it does start up it reads the usual 300-400
but would that indicate ecm? cause that was just replaced with the distributor
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 12:09:49 pm »

The oil pressure sending unit has nothing to do with a no-go condition unless your fuel pump relay is not functioning.  If you can hear the fuel pump prime for a couple of seconds when you turn the key to RUN (but not all the way to START), there's nothing wrong with your fuel pump relay.

No reading from the tach while cranking simply means that the tach isn't receiving a signal from the ignition system - it doesn't mean that any specific component has failed.

Check & re-check all connections to the ignition module, including the one underneath the cap which comes from the pick-up coil.  They all should be clean, dry, and secure.  Do the same for the connection to the ignition coil from the ignition module.

Check for the presence of heat sink grease between the ignition module & distributor base plate.  Overheating modules will sometimes quit for a while until they've had a chance to cool, then work for a short time until they heat up again.

Swap in a known-good ignition module if you have access to one.

Disconnect the 2-wire harness at the ignition coil which feeds the tach filter & instrument panel.  Like I said in my earlier post tach filters can kill the ignition when they fail.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
88formula
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 05:39:45 pm »

well it was the ignition control module.. brand spankin new with the distributor...
so this makes me think that there is something else wrong with it,
so this heat sink grease? its just a grease below the control module? but even after it cooled, it wouldn't start again....
and normally, would this heat sink grease come with a  new distributor, because I knew nothing of this when I installed mine.

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 02:27:37 pm »

so this heat sink grease? its just a grease below the control module? but even after it cooled, it wouldn't start again....
and normally, would this heat sink grease come with a  new distributor, because I knew nothing of this when I installed mine.

Heat sink grease is a dielectric, heat conducting paste which fills any small gaps between the distributor base plate & the back of the ignition module, improving transfer of heat from the module to the distributor.  It's often grey, white, or black, and is very thick - thicker in most cases than the heaviest "extreme pressure" grease available at a parts shop.

Ideally a new unit should have it installed, and I have in the past seen ignition modules sold with packets of heat sink grease in the box.  One would have to take a look to be certain though - unless you've been in to it since, only whomever assembled your distributor really knows if the grease is there or not.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
88formula
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 06:35:30 pm »

yuup, i checked and I have the grease there

I just want to thank you D for your time and advice!
To be honest I hope not to seek your advice for mechanical issues for a good long time.

88formula
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 06:37:40 pm »

and in the future im sure this thread will be a troubleshooting guide for most issues..

I just realized how much time and money i've spent going from one problem to another
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Ever feel you have a lemon? « previous next »
Jump to: