Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:58:16 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Ever feel you have a lemon? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ever feel you have a lemon?  (Read 4395 times)
88formula
Fiero Know-it-all

« on: November 11, 2010, 11:17:07 pm »

well im sure this is a feeling we all get most of the time, but i just wanted to share my frustrations after 2 weeks in a row the starter just decided to not crank... it starts initially, then i park for half an hour then it decides not to start... then i decided to take my approach to all problems, which is hit it with a hammer till it works, and that failed... I must have fiddled with the wires or something cause it started, the second time i just fiddled with the wires and it fired right up after that.

this makes me think, should i be working on getting a new starter in there or just keep risking it over the winter. My mechanic keeps trying to tell me to get a new one, but i have a bad habbit of taking its current running condition and forgetting about the problem. I also fear the task ahead because of the damn catalytic converter... grr to 88 and its e-testing......

i just had to ramble to vent, and maybe here i can find someone who can convince me to do the work, or tell me my laid back laziness is a fine way to look at things for the time being..

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 10:23:02 am »

Can't say that we've ever had any real "it's a lemon" moments about any of our Fieros, but other than for my very first one being a daily driver we've since managed to maneuver ourselves in to the position where we don't have to rely on them.

which is just fine given that we have none on the road at the moment!

If wriggling wires tends to temporarily solve your problem, odds are that there is something about one or more connections which has a high or infinite resistance unless it is "just right".  Dirt... moisture... corrosion... failed or improperly crimped cable terminals... internal wire brake... etc.

If you're still running the OEM cat and are worried about an upcoming e-test, get rid of it in favor of an over-the-counter generic one.  New cats are significantly smaller than the OEM, not to mention will do a better job at cleaning up the exhaust.  A compact cat plus extension pipe will also give you more room to access the starter comfortably.

Hang in there.  These silly little cars sometimes ask for a lot of TLC, but they do like to give back the grins.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 09:30:43 pm »

Sounds like you have a few issues.  I recommend dealing with the easy (or sometimes hard) and cheep issue of following your circuits to make sure you have a proper connection.  If you let one problem go then when you encounter a second or third it becomes extremely difficult to troubleshoot because the symptoms become unusual and intermittent.

Fix issues when they arise and you'll never have a lemon.

Good luck,

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
88formula
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 03:38:30 pm »

Well thanks for the help and thoughts.. I will agree that this fiero has given me plenty of grins Cheesy
now is the third time it has happened and this is convincing me to do something about it.
88formula
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 11:32:16 am »

So the problems in the Fiero have continued...
so a while ago my tach was flakey, sometimes just not working
when accelerating , a different lower pitch sound would come from the back at about 2000 rpm, sometimes causing a stall, in auto
when this happened i parked it, changed the wires, distributor cap, now i have no spark, the engine turns over and everything, but no ignition.

anyone ever have some similar symptoms?
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 06:14:14 am »

When our 2.8 was on the road, it had a random stalling problem at one point which was being caused by a loose connection at the distributor end of the distributor-to-coil harness.  The clip on the harness connector had lost it's "oomph"... solved via contact cleaner, dielectric grease, and a zip tie.

It would just die though... no warning or changes in motor pitch prior.

Flaky tach usually indicates a dying tach filter.  I can't remember for certain so this may be bunk, but a shorted-to-ground tach filter may be able to kill spark outright.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
88formula
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 03:38:52 pm »

thanks, well i put a new distributor in it, my other one was in rough shape.. so now it starts but still tends to lack power and i can only get it up to 3000 rpm

I think what im gonna check next is the fuel filter and at the same time time it properly with a timing light
hope this works, and even though my contacts at the distributor look clean, i'll give that a good cleaning

thanks once again for the suggestions
dimeadozen
Fiero Know-it-all

Mia: March 17, 2010- The Safety

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 09:15:24 pm »

Hey Man, dont feel bad, I once had a lemon fiero. My first car was a real let down after I loaded a ton of money into it and wasn't smart enough to check to see if the frame was in tact. But oh well, better to learn when i was 17. Now Im 24 im on my third fiero and things still aren't perfect, but thats Fieros for u. But I'll tell u one thing, When ever I got stuck, I definitely stopped and regrouped my ideas, talked to people smarter than me and even just walked out into my garage just to look at the mess I had and stare off into the future with hopes of someday having a car worth showing off. Then I took that next step. I tried something new. Always dabbled with my options and it sounds like thats what u r doing. So good for u. If u really like these cars then dont give up. It pays off in the end. I was actually at car shows this past year rubbing shoulders finally with some great people after I spent 2.5 long years under a leaky squeeky car.

Some days U feel like the bug and somedays U feel like the windshield. So just chin up and never give up. U will find the answers to any questions if you search hard enough. Smiley good luck.

Dime

If I just spend a little more money...
88formula
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 08:45:59 pm »

thanks man, if im lucky ill have it good to go tomorrow, i gave in and tried getting it to my mechanic, limping to carp along the backroads at 60 km/h if i was lucky.. only to not be able to start her up less than a km away.. damn 65 dollar tow....... but it turns out the timing chain was messed up and was skipping or something.. that'll do it.
the one benefit ive gotten out of this is seeing the engine bay in pieces without getting my hands dirty
now this means i have almost all the engine accessories replaced, starter, distributor, water pump.
i just hope the money put into the timing chain will get it going again.

it is a love i have for this car, i dont think there is too much to go wrong as it is all a learning experience, and a whole lot of fun in return.
i hope that my next post isnt in this thread, as I post in this thread when im frustrated with my baby.
can machine
Moving UP!

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 07:55:57 pm »

Who's your mechanic in Carp?
dimeadozen
Fiero Know-it-all

Mia: March 17, 2010- The Safety

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 09:55:21 am »

awe man Ur lucky U have a chain. My previous 87 Se blew out on the highway and It turned out to be one of those Gear on Gear set ups. 1200 dollars later I got my car back and it was all out of alignment and unresponsive. Had to get it retuned by another mechanic. I hope ur next post is somehting cheerier too. Im totally missing my car right now its just sitting in my garage waiting for the spring so I can take her in and find out about my own engine knock. So chin up. Be greatful ur engine turns over Smiley I kno I am and thats what makes us the select few fortunate:)

If I just spend a little more money...
88formula
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 02:23:55 pm »

my mechanic is steve flaherty, right on carp rd. swore he never would work on a fiero but decided to be nice to me, haha
but after the new chain was put in, still wont fire, so now we're waiting on a new cpu.. hope it solves it.. i need my my wheels back so i dont have to drive my dads ford windstar sport, even though im fortunate to be able to borrow it...

if it doesnt solve it.. i dont know what i will do...
can machine
Moving UP!

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 08:56:39 pm »

Is you car silver?
88formula
Fiero Know-it-all

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 10:40:48 am »

yupp thats the one
can machine
Moving UP!

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 08:56:18 am »

Ahhh, I saw it sitting there. Looks in good shape.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Ever feel you have a lemon? « previous next »
Jump to: