Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:30:21 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Spring is coming « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spring is coming  (Read 3778 times)
2ML67
« on: February 22, 2004, 03:21:55 pm »

Nice day outside today had garage door wide open while I ran new tranny lines on old yeller, got quite a bit done. If weather keeps up Brian will be driving nice and slow at the speed limit in his yellow 88 real soon.
Do not know what the weather in Ottawa is like but down here it is just above zero and sunny decent enough to turn on the stereo in the garage and get some work done, should be nice being off school all next week if this weather keeps up.
Brian if you read this do not forget to bring along the battery cable with you next weekend so I can run it and finish your front battery instal. Wiring of engine almost done should be no problem putting PCM inside car behind passengers seat. Dan
GoFast85
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 09:35:08 am »

Tires, battery cable, mount if I can get ahold of Gary (are your ears burning Gary?) We should plan to go to Pickering for the pulleys on Saturday noon. Instead of me doubling back you could pick me up in Castleton or do you need a hand to put the engines into the van? Could meet you at 7 pm on Friday if nessessary.
2ML67
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 01:09:26 pm »

Shouldn't be a problem will just put one in the side door and the other in the back. Do not tell Gary that we will have two series II 3800SC's sitting in the back of my van he might get ideas. Can just pick you up on the way on Saturday. Let me know where and when to meet you.
JAYGT
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 02:01:24 pm »

why would you bother putting the battery in the front?   i think a normal battery is 30 pounds.  i run a 8 pound gell filled harley battery in stock location.   saves  over 20 pounds plus the weight of the long cables you run to the front.   this type battery ran my 2.2 high compression engine all last winter in minus 30 no problem.  not sure  why i am the only person that does this.   unless your not a racer and like a/c , heavy stereo power amps, and cristmas tree lighting.  might as well drive a cadilac.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 02:46:38 pm »

that poor little battery will not turn over my motor more than one try.  If it doesn't start then it's out with the booster cables.  I know, because I tryed it.

But I did go to a spiral cell.  It saved one third the weight.

Many people have reported much better handling characteristics from putting an extra 50 lb in the front of the car.  Moving the battery has the same effect, without having to go through the expence of tire calculations to fix the problem.

Aaron

« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 02:51:45 pm by aaron88 » Logged

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
GoFast85
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 02:52:58 pm »

I need the weight up front to keep the front end down on those long lonely nights heading for 'ome
lsixtyseven
Ottawa Fiero Member
Moving UP!

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 05:29:45 pm »

not sure  why i am the only person that does this.  unless your not a racer and like a/c , heavy stereo power amps, and cristmas tree lighting.  

I'm not a racer , and want a/c and heavy stereo amps maybe with two batteries. I think the only reason you are the only person that does this is because you are a racer.

So then get a race car.
JAYGT
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2004, 02:53:47 am »

well the battery i found is gell filled and made for a harley.  im going to get a fresh one for the fiero. ill let ya know how it stands up.  putting vents in the hood behind the rad and droping the car will keep the front end down.  im painting the intake tomorow.  hoping to remove some of the tubes goin into it.   are there any that i MUST keep?
FieroDough
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2004, 07:28:58 am »

well the battery i found is gell filled and made for a harley.  im going to get a fresh one for the fiero. ill let ya know how it stands up.  putting vents in the hood behind the rad and droping the car will keep the front end down.  im painting the intake tomorow.  hoping to remove some of the tubes goin into it.   are there any that i MUST keep?

All Vacuum lines. Then you have the EGR. I recomend you keep it. it cools down the combustion chamber and avoids you making a hole in a piston. But if you really want to, you can block that off also.
GoFast85
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2004, 07:35:44 am »

putting vents in the hood behind the rad and droping the car will keep the front end down
Would like to see some pic's when you are done. Are you cutting the front springs and how much of a drop are you looking at?
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2004, 08:07:52 am »

well the battery i found is gell filled and made for a harley.  im going to get a fresh one for the fiero. ill let ya know how it stands up.

Useless trivia moment:  almost all motorcycle, ATC, and snowmobile batteries are gel cells--it's not a Harley Davidson thing.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
GoFast85
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2004, 09:36:58 am »

On the trivia note, I saw a guy on a Honda sport bike at burger king. He was walking the bike around the sidewalk snowbank so that he could fire it up. Hell my Kaw won't even start in this weather!!  
JAYGT
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2004, 03:54:18 pm »

first battery i tried was from canadian tire.  motercycle and was filled with normal acid.   10 pounds i think and would crank over the 2.2  slower than normal but got the job done.   friend had an expensive (100$)  gell filled he got for a harley but was using in his quad runner.  i think it was better cranking power than stock quad battery.   put it in and car would start up like normal.  minus 30  all winter car would start right up.  8 pounds i think.  so i got 20 pounds off the front end of my car.  carbon fibre hood got 20 pounds off the front of my car.  removed the power steering,  a/c,  bumper rebar, 13 pound rims 15x7 and other stuff.

there doesnt seam like much stuff you can take off a fiero to make it weigh less.  i got around 400 pounds out of my honda.  since my fiero will never be fast i would rather have look nice than gutted out.  if i can get a 15 quarter mile out of my auto gt i will be happy.   the fiero i get from southern states will be my moter swap car.

on average 100 pounds out of a car gives you around full car in the quarter mile.  so 8 pound battery and spare tire-jack removal would make a seat of the pants difference in performance.

i have 87 trans am hood vents that i am getting put on the hood behind the rad. im hoping to get the hood layered in carbon fibre  as well.  if it turns out ok i want to get the trunk lid covered in carbon as well.  less panels to paint black . Grin

2ML67
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2004, 12:30:04 pm »

Its above 0 the sun is shining and it is supposed to hit +6 by Saturday got to like that weather. Good day to sit down and finish wiring  3800SC for this yelow thing here in my garage. This is one of those days that if my car was here and together I would be cruising for a while but it is not here and I think Brian actually wants me to finish his car so I had better get back out to the garage and get some work done. Sad thing is day by day that yellow isn't looking quite as ugly as it was.
GoFast85
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2004, 07:33:04 am »

Like a dandelion sprounting up to meet the warm sum.
Ahh I degress, Will phone you and confirm time for Saturday. We will have room to put the 4 tires in the van after our trip to Pickering?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Spring is coming « previous next »
Jump to: