Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 07:55:10 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Mig welder « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mig welder  (Read 1856 times)
2ML67
« on: September 16, 2005, 12:37:26 pm »

Finally broke down and bought a mig welder so now my garage is dangerously fully equiped for action. What ever should I build next.  Dan
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 03:00:30 pm »

an Ultima GTR

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
2ML67
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 06:12:32 pm »

Some people say I have a one track mind. Dan
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 07:06:24 am »

Finally broke down and bought a mig welder so now my garage is dangerously fully equiped for action. What ever should I build next.  Dan

Ain't toys nice?

We finally have air here.  It's only a puny 8gal compressor, but it's enough to run Sacha's paint guns and most light-duty tools without needing a dedicated circuit.   Afro

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
fiero308
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 08:19:29 am »

Ain't toys nice?

We finally have air here.  It's only a puny 8gal compressor, but it's enough to run Sacha's paint guns and most light-duty tools without needing a dedicated circuit.   Afro

trust a CANADIAN to get "AIR" in September.....

sorry; industry joke; couldn't resist  Cheesy
fiero308
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 08:21:25 am »

they're a great machine!
I am going to get a bottle of gas to try aluminum again; did before with reasonable results but it was only a few tries. This time I will use the whole thing and try to become an ALUMINUM welder! That would be really neat. And useful... for my custom intake plenum etc ideas. 
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 11:23:55 am »

I am going to get a bottle of gas to try aluminum again; did before with reasonable results but it was only a few tries. This time I will use the whole thing and try to become an ALUMINUM welder! That would be really neat. And useful... for my custom intake plenum etc ideas. 

You have to use a lot of heat and a fast wire speed.  Takes a bit of getting used to.  Also take into consideration that there is a lot of distorsion when welding aluminum. Go with it don't fight it.

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
fiero308
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 11:39:04 am »

actually did some a couple of yrs ago; with this mig machine and NO alum spool on the gun! Somehow it worked out pretty good! (welll.... when it worked at all... lol )

I did see that there is NO indication of the metal being 'ready' or 'done' as with steel tho; it just doesn't glow red hot, so one moment it is there and the next  OOPS where did it go.
Yeah I guess it is a LOT of experience. That is what impresses me so much about the guys who weld the thinner wall stuff. Wow; what a lot of time they must have in.
First up is to get a couple of bottles for the oxy acet torches so I can work on my exh tho.
2ML67
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 11:18:51 am »

Oh no its started I am actually cleaning up my garage and fixing things in it. Today I finally welded my vise back together. Where is all this madness going to take me. Dan
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 03:36:11 pm »

I wouldn't expect welding cast to work out too well in the long run.  It tends not to hold.

Aaron

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Mig welder « previous next »
Jump to: