Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 02:52:56 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Off Topic  |  Other  |  Topic: Lap top question « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lap top question  (Read 2231 times)
GSXRBOBBY
« on: December 26, 2004, 02:49:21 am »

My father came over for a Christmas morning breakfast. He played on my computer for awhile. He ended up looking on Ebay at laptops and asked my to put in a bid. We didn't win it, so I told him I would start looking for one for him. I am just ok with computers, infact when I bought mine I went to a friends mom "old friend" and told her to build me one. she no longer is around so I am asking you guys, where is a good deal? I just need it to be simple, Windows and web ready?

By the way, thanks alot for any help you can provide!
fiero308
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 11:41:22 am »

hope you and yours had a good Christmas!
re: laptop
that is one thing that I would NOT buy on ebay; simply due to the number of things that can either BE wrong or GO wrong....
If you are not a computer whiz (and I count myself in that group too  Embarrassed ) why not get one where they will give you a 1 yr warranty (or more?) and you have confidence in them backing up the product.  That way you will have some comfort level in what you get.
I say that because SO many things can be 'sporadic' problems.  I have exactly that right now; a CD ROM that is ok....MOST of the time.  but now and then it skips.  Prior to my last hard drive crash my computer started taking occasional 'time outs' just to 'think' I guess....  and maybe that was my warning; I didn't know.  Thing is, you may not see this stuff on a computer that you get used; ie to try out for 5 minutes; and the famous ebay disclaimer is that "but it worked fine when I sent it; must have been dropped during shipping!" (which of course could be true too...)
ARe you up on the features and characteristics and what is proven technology and what is new technology etc when it comes to laptops?  (maybe new isn't necessarily better?)
Some company like Dell should prob be reasonable to deal with I would guess?  I think IBM is either getting out of PC's or IS out already.
a few thoughts; hope you don't mind.  Good luck with it
gp
lercs
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 11:50:48 am »

for laptops dell is the place to go.. best prices warranties and all that. now just figure out how much you want to spend and then just spend that much.. whichever one comes in at that price

im assuming this wont be a hardcore gammer laptop or anything..

fiero308
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2004, 12:24:17 pm »

well Bobby IS about 800 miles and a border away.......so I am sure he has options that we haven't heard of; just like we have Future Shop here......
 Shocked
raunchy
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2004, 03:46:56 pm »

There's a computer store at Merivale Mall,i forget the name of the place.Anyways all there stock is used,but refurbished...i go there once in a while.The prices are excellent but the warranty on most products is only 6 months.
GSXRBOBBY
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2004, 07:24:45 pm »

What mall?
fiero308
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2004, 07:27:43 pm »

What mall?

Raunchy:
Bobby is in INDIANA...................

like in the states............

Cheesy
raunchy
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2004, 07:53:26 pm »

Embarrassed Shocked Damn!!lol i thought you were in Ottawa,so sorry there Bobby.I,m kinda new around this site.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 07:58:21 pm by raunchy » Logged
GSXRBOBBY
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2004, 01:48:01 am »

Sorry guys, I just realized I am to far away to really be on here other than getting or giving Fiero help.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 09:12:13 pm »

Do not buy any used computer anything online!  It's just a bad idea.

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
c-l
Global Moderator
Moving UP!

Ottawa Fiero Club President

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 03:55:09 pm »

Bobby,

Take the best advice on this post... Buy a Dell

They may not be the best laptops in the world but they are good (we have around 250 of them here at work). Unless you are really good with computers, don't bother shopping to save the extra $100 as you will probably have to eventually spend even more than that on computer repairs.

Buy the best warranty you can, they offer up to 4 or 5 years... onsite, next business day service... compare this to "shipping your laptop to the manufacturer" for a few weeks or even worst, have your local store ship it themselve and wait a few months...

C-L

......... There is always a way!
GSXRBOBBY
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2005, 12:24:49 pm »

Going to look for a Dell this weekend!!! Thanks
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Off Topic  |  Other  |  Topic: Lap top question « previous next »
Jump to: