Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:43:34 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: "Performance Sound" sub box in 84 models « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Performance Sound" sub box in 84 models  (Read 1985 times)
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« on: July 12, 2005, 08:53:21 am »

Just in case anyone else ever thinks of doing this... don't, unless you have some patience & don't mind something which will turn out not to be the plug-and-play job you thought it was.   Cheesy

What follows intentionally does not cover anything about the electronics involved.  The speaker, amp, and remaining electronics I used in this case are another ball of wax entirely, which I may or may not get in to at some point.  Anywho...

So...  you have removed the dash & everything that's in the way, only to find out that there's no way in hell the sub box will fit without modification thanks to the floor vents which only the 84s possess.    Roll Eyes

Disconnect the cable which operates the vent louver, and remove the shroud over the vent.  You'll need them later, but for the moment they're just going to get in the way.

The sub box comes with two brackets.  Drill out the rivets holding the the bracket which attaches to the lower dash mount, move it up by approximately 4.4cm, and attach with new rivets.  One corner of the bracket will need to be bent slightly to clear a bump in the box's shape.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 08:55:55 am by dguy » Logged

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 08:57:58 am »

The left-hand side of the sub enclosure needs to be supported, so we're going to make a bracket which attaches to the point where the vent cable used to be.

A small amount of sheet metal, two or three rivets, and...

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 09:02:17 am »

Now you need to modify the linkage for the vent louver, as there's a box where the cable used to be.  Smiley

I modified a small piece of threaded rod & had lying about, and JB Welded it to the original arm.

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 09:07:58 am »

The shroud over the vent will need to be cut to clear the sub enclosure.  Apparently I neglected to take a photo of it, but the required modifications will be obvious when you try to put it back in place.

A crimp-on 10-12 gauge ring terminal becomes a clamp for the vent cable, and is fastened to the bracket on the sub box which you didn't move.

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 09:10:45 am »

The resonance tube falls victim to some plastic surgery in order to clear the vent... done!   Afro

aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 12:03:09 pm »

Dude that must be heavy!   How much weight did you just add to your car?

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 01:18:26 pm »

Grin  I was waiting for someone to catch that.

One thing I just realized that I forgot to mention...  it doesn't hurt to put a dab of silicone or similar sealant over the rivets on the relocated brackets.  Small air leaks in the enclosure will result in a buzzy sound.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: "Performance Sound" sub box in 84 models « previous next »
Jump to: