Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 08:57:20 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: new "Road Safety" law (splitting thread) « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: new "Road Safety" law (splitting thread)  (Read 2269 times)
fiero308
« on: May 07, 2003, 11:57:38 am »

This is an update of sorts:
I have gone ahead and emailed my local MPP (happens to be John Baird) and already got a std reply asking for my mailing address so they can MAIL me a response. I have sent that AND told them that I will be posting their response to me on this website (50+ members) so DON'T send a generic "thanks for your concern" type letter.
Maybe that would be a good approach for others to take too.......; makes them HAVE to think about it and to realize there will be a bunch of people looking at the responses.
I really think this should be an active issue for any people like ourselves.
 Angry
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2003, 08:43:44 am »

Already sent, both to Ernie Eves & Norm Sterling (the M.P.P. for my area).

I just noticed that Sterling is no longer the Minister of Transportation; he has been replaced by Frank Klees.

For those of you wishing to wishing to express your concerns directly to the Minister of Transportation, his contact info follows:

KLEES, Hon. Frank
Minister of Transportation

Queen's Park Address
3rd Floor, Ferguson Block
77 Wellesley Street West
Toronto, ON M7A 1Z8

Telephone: (416) 327-9200
Fax: (416) 327-9188

Constituency Office Address
650 Hwy 7 East, Unit 210
Richmond Hill, Ont. L4B 1B2

Telephone: (905) 707-3160
Fax: (905) 707-3161
Toll free: 1-800-211-1881

frank_klees@ontla.ola.org

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
FieroDough
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2003, 01:57:22 pm »

it just hit me! My car is registered at a hot-rod for emissions! Gov. approved rating on my car, soooooo! If they say I have aftermaket oarts, I just need to show my ownership and say "Yes I do, and the good old province of Ontario knows about them" toss him a doughnut and drive off. Cheesy

(last part varies depending on attitude of cop. I didn't install bullet-proof windows yet. Tongue  )

The can't ticket you for what they already agreed was ok. Smiley

Cheers!
Eric
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2003, 10:06:55 am »

Well it ain't over yet.

Looks like section 172.2 has been modified to focus solely upon the use of NOS in street vehicles.  Small victory there.   Undecided

However, section 172.1 has not been modified, and if passed in its current form gives officers the power to suspend your licence and/or impound your vehicle for 48 hours if they believe that you were racing on the street.

The fun part is that there no appeals and/or reviews of the suspension/impoundment will be granted.

Envision a beat cop near the end of his/her shift.  They spot you accelerating hard out of a stop, but doing otherwise nothing wrong.  The cop doesn't like the look of you and your shiney toy.  Suddenly you find yourself pulled over for "racing" against the slower vehicle in the other lane.  Oh and guess what?  You can't go to court to challenge the officer's decision like you can with most other charges.

Yep, it's a bit of an extreme example, but I'm just trying to show the opening for misuse which exists.

Read more about it in this article on the Specialty Vehicle Association of Ontario's web page.

Keep up the contact with your MPP's, folks.

GoFast85
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2003, 12:37:51 pm »

John Baird's constituency office is just 2 blocks from where I live, so I will just have to drop in for a chat.
Sentinel
Returns to active lurker status
Ottawa Fiero Member
MASTER FIERO

Wrapped in Horsepower, Driving into Fury......

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2003, 10:46:27 pm »

will they also be goose stepping around from now on, there has to be checks and balances, leaving such a impactful decision to one person is quite the infringement, 99% would prob be ok but there's always that one guy.....

We drive so fast , it seems as though , we take into the sky, the Fiero Machines in Harmony , Hear the Engines Cry
Boy-z
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2003, 10:25:17 am »

I think that the first case should be a good one I know the Lawyers will have a hay day with it. I Know that if I get stopped I will seek counsil. If they really think that after market parts are not a good thing Will I guess that they will be no tractor trailers on the road . I know a few truckers and all there trucks are modified in one way or another air ram hood scoopes air intakes etc. So I really don't think that this is going to go very far. Like some one was saying One out off 99 cops will try to push his weight but just to let you know that this City has 72 cops assigned to traffic detail and take it that half are on days off at any one given time, leaves 36 to cover the city, take eighteen off them and put them in a donut shop and you have on the beat 18. four are responding to accidents that leaves you with 14. Now working on that number Your in a pretty good position. with the number off Honda's out there.so  Just don't light it up ....No  not that stuff you are aloud to light that. I mean the tire's ...As long as you stay away from Coffee shops I think you will fair off OK but to stay way from a donut shop well that can be tricky as there is one every 2nd block. So on that note how is everyone doing and any plans for a meet and cruise, Or a get together. How does Timmy's sound
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2003, 09:42:45 am »

I think that the first case should be a good one I know the Lawyers will have a hay day with it. I Know that if I get stopped I will seek counsil. If they really think that after market parts are not a good thing Will I guess that they will be no tractor trailers on the road

Woah there, backup.

Your concerns about aftermarket parts becoming illegal are I believe, no longer founded.  Unless I missed something, the current version of the bill makes only the use of NOS on the street illegal.  Other modifications which a previous draft of the bill loosely described under the umbrella of "racing equipment" are no longer targeted.

Scroll up to a message from myself with a subject of Update, or check out the two links in that message for further details of what has been changed in the bill since the last time this thread was active.

-d.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2003, 09:51:56 am by dguy » Logged

FieroDough
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2003, 05:02:54 pm »

so.. with the 3800sc, does a smaller pulley count as NOS? *lol*

fiero308
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2003, 05:53:51 pm »

I sent letters and emails out and finally got a reply from John Baird, local MPP; I will post it if anyone is interested. I think it is VERY important for people to send a letter, don't mince words and get right to the point. He tends to be pretty neutral and non-commital in his comments (gee, what a surprise! Roll Eyes ) and so another note from me is forthcoming.

This business of NO appeal - guess what that will result in. The cops will use it pretty freely until they jam the courts even more! Why not?  They won't be challenged on their call, will they? No appeal must be unconstitutional, but it will stay that way until a legal challenge changes it. I am sorry, but I am not interested in being part of that first round.... I have better things to do. But right now I am very interested in making a noise; this is the time to counter it. EVERYone should raise a stink!  Really.
so......... get off your hands and start typing; let your mpp know what you think of him/her if they don't try to make this a bit more realistic....
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: new "Road Safety" law (splitting thread) « previous next »
Jump to: