Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 09:59:35 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Car's almost done...... « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Car's almost done......  (Read 2002 times)
FieroBUZZ
« on: July 22, 2003, 09:27:22 am »

Optimism in it's purist form...  Shocked My car at 9 AM this morning.

Just a few things to clean up, modify, bolt together, install, paint, test, and she'll be ready to go. Gee... sounds so easy!
GoFast85
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 09:57:50 am »

Did I miss the sale on jackstands?Huh
Kevin
Ottawa Fiero Member
MASTER FIERO

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2003, 11:13:42 am »

So, what do you think Gary umm.. end of the week? We miss hanging out with the FrankenFiero. Seriously how far along in the process are you? Do you have the engine and tranny mounted test fitted in the car, wiring figured out, hoses routed, exhaust? I want to see this thing go. -Kevin
  P.S. \/ \/ Here is a pic for reference \/ \/ Smiley
fiero308
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2003, 03:45:45 pm »

what's the problem?
A good weekend should do it I think?!?!?! Cool
(but seriously, folks.......)
Gary - you should be very concerned.  Your car is starting to look like mine.
That is cause for real worry...  I just can't think of a harsher thing to say..... Grin Wink

Do you need help with anything - that I am able to do...... (that cuts down the field....) let me know and I will try to get out.
g
FieroBUZZ
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2003, 05:12:13 pm »

Well thanks for the kind words.
Brian: Good thing the rest of the ramp collection isn't there.

Kevin: answers...not sure, no, no, no, no. If you're waiting to see it done better mind your health.  It may be a while.  BTW the pic doesn't help.  Rims and tires are sold, deck and spoiler are sold, and scoops vanished.

Graham: Stop looking so smug!!!!

Anyone know how to get the big bolts out of the struts?  The nuts are off, but they sure don't want to come out.  Threw out my shoulder using my BFH on them.  Is it too near the strut to use the next best tool...fire?
fiero308
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2003, 05:22:45 pm »

smug can only be an achronym for something illegal in this case; I have NOTHing to be smug about.
re: big bolts - are they transportable?  Bring them to anyone with a 1/2" impact wrench and they will come out pretty quick.  If you want a road trip, bring them HERE!!!!  (call first)  Impact wrenches are magic........ Grin Grin Grin
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2003, 07:55:25 am »

I have a pile of cool tools.  Including 650lb impact gun, and plasma cutter if needed (if you don’t want anything to survive the carnage).  Although I used fire to get mine off.  It was a two person job and my impact gut wasn’t strong enough to do the job.  The trick is to turn them before you even try to get them out.

The other thing is that it’s a lot easier when the struts are still on the car.  I say, just pour the heat to them and don’t worry about the strut.  If you wreck the strut (you shouldn’t) it shouldn’t be too hard to get new ones.  You can have mine if they’ll fit.

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2003, 08:28:45 am »

Anyone know how to get the big bolts out of the struts?  The nuts are off, but they sure don't want to come out.  Threw out my shoulder using my BFH on them.  Is it too near the strut to use the next best tool...fire?

When I did mine last summer I used my Miniature Mexican Monkey Wrench (a.k.a. propylene torch) to heat the suckers while leaning on a breaker bar.  Once they were turning, I reinstalled the nut until flush with the end of the bolt, and beat it with a hammer while turning the head.

Usually this was enough to get it moving, but a couple of stubborn ones needed a hammer & large screwdriver against the underside of the bolt head after the nut-hammering created some room.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
fiero308
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2003, 08:30:20 am »

hi Gary
I should read before my mouth opens, shouldn't I Roll Eyes
the nuts are OFF, you say; will the bolts turn?  if you can get them to turn they should come out....... more massaging with the bfh; might be a good idea to put the nuts on the ends so you don't mushroom the bolt's threaded ends if it isn't too late for that.
I have had good luck on 'fairly hopeless' nuts/bolts using heat (propane torch usually does it plus patience) and then hitting the bolt with a good shot of penetrating oil - then go at it to try to turn it.
Sounds like enough of a challenge that I might just come out there.  Are you charging anything for people to relieve their pent-up frustrations?

Shocked
GoFast85
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2003, 09:53:42 am »

Graeme
On you way by you can pick me up. Do I have to bring my own hammer?
FieroBUZZ
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2003, 10:21:58 am »

Thanks guys! I was afraid of blowing up the strut.  I have new ones (with new bolts and nuts).

One of the bolts will rotate a bit (with a long bar) but I'll wager I've buggered the other end enough that a nut won't go back on.  

Anyway, I'll have a try at fire and see what happens.  Aaron if I can't get them, I may get hold of you and run the cradle over to the shop.

I'm going to try the motor on the cradle sans clutch to see it in it's new home.

I may have to schedule CAR-nage 2003 to bash the bits off.
Gary
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2003, 12:24:53 pm »

Easiest way to get a hold of me is to look up my work number in the phone book (or internet), call and ask for me.  I’m going rock climbing tonight, so after 5 p.m. is no good.  Other than that, I’ll be working on my car until the wee hours, all the rest of this week.  I won’t be at my desk after hours, but I’ll likely leave a door ajar (if you come looking / frustrated).

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Car's almost done...... « previous next »
Jump to: