Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 06:06:50 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: F'Glass custom work « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: F'Glass custom work  (Read 2549 times)
FieroBUZZ
« on: February 01, 2003, 12:44:19 pm »

Anyone have a brand name for a good adhesive that will bond fiberglass parts to our fenders and or hood?

Rebel
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2003, 02:36:52 pm »

Gary what are you trying to bond? Roll Eyes
Epoxy will bond almost anything to anything  
« Last Edit: February 01, 2003, 02:38:24 pm by Rebel » Logged
Fieroflyer
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2003, 05:46:17 pm »

Ive got a friend that works at a boat builders near here, let me know what you want to do and I will ask him for suggestions. Guy is a pro with fiberglass.
FieroBUZZ
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2003, 06:48:22 pm »

I have decided that the rear fascia is too high off the ground.  I don't want to lower the car so I have to lower the fascia.  I am considering adding a piece of another fascia or using one to make a 'glass skirt.  It will bond at the flat part just above the licence plate cutout.

I have to also bond 'glass side skirts to the present plastic aero rocker panels. (kind of like a Z24 swoop).
Fieroflyer
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2003, 09:58:28 pm »

I will ask my budy about bonding to the fascia. There are after market kits available I believe that do just that.  I have ground effects for the sides and rear that do it. I am planning on using them on my 85SE.
fiero308
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2003, 08:23:19 pm »

hi Fieroflyer;
I am going to be in the market for some fiberglass repairs on mine come April or so.  Maybe you could steer me to this guy?
Fieroflyer
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2003, 08:31:08 pm »

yea no problem his name is Terry and he works at Toth marine in Lakefield. does great fiberglass work have seen some of the custom hoods he's made pretty much perfect.
fiero308
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2003, 10:32:14 am »

I have some stuff - (I had to actually put my hands on it first) that was sent to me when I bought some IMSA fender flairs for my now-gone 280Z.  The flair mfr recommended and supplied it as part of the kit; they said it would bond the flairs all by itself but I could also use rivets if I wanted.  NOW - they are in California and I don't know if they have any knowledge of the temperatures we have to endure.......  
But you can check it out; maybe the company has a website - the product is made by Eclectic Products Inc; and is called E6000 adhesive and sealant; and is called "Industrial Strength" on the tubes.
fyi
« Last Edit: February 18, 2003, 04:09:32 pm by fiero308 » Logged
fiero1
Moving UP!

dark-rider

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2003, 03:50:18 pm »

Hi Gary Grin,try this guy he may have some of the info your looking for he has done this type of work:mayhew@expertech.net
fiero308
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2003, 04:15:26 pm »

hi all;
I am interested in learning about carbon fibre; found a CANADIAN company in BC who actually answered an email!  His email id is rickjarnell@fiber-tek.com
and part of his note is as follows:
"you can use the carbon over the fiberglass and vice versa.
For the application of carbon it is actually no different than applying
regular fiberglass cloth, except for the fact that the carbon is black and
does not go clear when saturated like cloth does.  It cuts the same ,
handles the same and wets out the same. So no real difference.  The reccomendations for applying carbon over fiberglass would be to sand the area down with 80-120 grit sandpaper, probably clean off with acetone and wait for the acetone to evaporate, then apply your material.  The only thing you have to watch for is what year the car you are working on as some of the new cars are made with "smc" which is sheet molded compound.  
(Do fieros have this?Huh)
Regular fiberglass and epoxy will not stick to this, and you would have to
use a product designed especially for that.  We sell one called Hetron 197.  We sell this to people working on newer vettes. , freightliners, jet skis
etc.
check out the website; it is pretty good for fiberglass info.
GP
« Last Edit: February 18, 2003, 10:06:43 pm by fiero308 » Logged
FieroBUZZ
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2003, 07:58:12 pm »

Our fieros have SMC (hood, roof, deck) and injection molded plastic as well.  I find that the kits for repairing flexible bumpers work well.  The main objection is that such a small quantity is in each kit.
Sentinel
Returns to active lurker status
Ottawa Fiero Member
MASTER FIERO

Wrapped in Horsepower, Driving into Fury......

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2003, 10:53:44 pm »

Check this out if your looking at dabbling in CF:
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/020219.html

We drive so fast , it seems as though , we take into the sky, the Fiero Machines in Harmony , Hear the Engines Cry
FieroBUZZ
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2003, 10:51:00 pm »

Okay just to add a bit to this, I have found the following.
http://www.westsystem.com/
http://www.plasticsofottawa.com lists themselves as a dealer for this product.  Basically a two part epoxy for joining, well, things.  Lists fiberglass, wood, metal, composites, so should be good.
WillEV
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2003, 02:43:00 pm »

Here's some more info on C/F
http://www.bryanf.com/info/carbonf1.htm
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: F'Glass custom work « previous next »
Jump to: