Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 10:01:03 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: 3.8sc swap q's « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3.8sc swap q's  (Read 1850 times)
Rob
« on: August 20, 2004, 05:05:02 pm »

These questions are mostly for Dan, but anyone can Chime in.

When doing your swap, where did you get your engine/tranny mounts. WCF?
Im looking at an engine with 105000km on it. but its not from a gtp, I know that there are some negatives with going with a Buick engine, any Idea what the differences are and if its better to spend a little more for a GTP engine?

More questions will ensue, once I find out whether I get my financing or not...

Thanks; Rob
2ML67
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 12:20:30 am »

Both mine and Brians engines are out of Buicks, there is no difference in the engines its the tranny's and PCM's that differ. Best is to get a GTP PCM and tranny or at least a GTP PCM and rewire for the differences in the harness. 98,99 GTP PCM's are the easiest as they use the older pass key. The Buick's pass key is built into the BCM which requires a lot more work to use but can be done. If you want me to make up a harness drop it off and let me know what PCM it needs to match. Usually takes about a week to do a harness depending on where you want to locate the PCM. I can rewire the Buick harness for a GTP PCM if you get one or else wire the buick one up with a BCM its up to you.
 I make my own mounts as I do not feel the west coast ones are strong enough plus I use one of them to mount the alternator down below out of the way. Dan
Rob
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 08:15:02 pm »

Thanks Dan, I will defienitly get back to you about some more questions that I may have.. How much do you  want for the Harness and can you make me up a set of mounts??

PM me, thanks rob
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 01:20:58 am »

These questions are mostly for Dan, but anyone can Chime in.

Step one: Buy a Northstar motor Cheesy
Step two: forget about that heavy 3.8 automatic (this will happen naturally) Grin

How are you going to fix that weight distribution?

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
GoFast88
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 07:26:59 am »

Smiley I bet mine can shift faster than yours can  Wink naw, naw, naw naw, naw
Rob
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 07:25:13 pm »

I was origionaly kinda looking at a 3.5l Shortstar swap, but at $1700+ USD for a engine managment computer, plus the engine and the rest.... just too much!

beside.. those Northstar trannies weigh a ton!
GoFast88
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 12:28:45 pm »

Aaron  --  You ever get your car weighed with the Northstar installed??
GSXRBOBBY
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 01:20:27 pm »

The Northstar is only 40 to 60 lbs. more than a stock 2.8L, its the Caddy trans axle that is so heavy, thats why most like me used a 5 speed Getrag, its only 90 lbs. vs the 275 lbs. Cadillac tansaxle.
Rob
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 08:38:26 pm »

what do you use as engine managment with the northstar if you arnt using the caddy tranny, Ive heard its a nightmare to get right.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 02:01:01 pm »

what do you use as engine managment with the northstar if you arnt using the caddy tranny, Ive heard its a nightmare to get right.

Holley Commander 950.  It's a huge headache to do any other way, so much so that it's worth the 1800 (Actually I can’t really remember what I paid) Canadian dollars to go this way.

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: 3.8sc swap q's « previous next »
Jump to: