Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:16:45 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Vehicle insurance a.k.a. gov't-endorsed organized crime « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vehicle insurance a.k.a. gov't-endorsed organized crime  (Read 1039 times)
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« on: March 03, 2004, 08:43:51 am »

In an effort not to hijack Eric's thread...  Smiley

My FZ750 bike insurance DOUBLED last year, so the insurance company  managed to get 0 Dollars from me this year.

Brian, have you ever asked your insurance company to suspend your motorcycle's insurance over the winter?  If so, what was the outcome?

The last time I looked in to it, I was flat-out told "no."  The excuse was that it's an annual policy, and my agent blew a puff of smoke up my ass to the tune of "we used to do semi-annual motorcycle policies at the same rate, so you're getting a good deal at 1 year of insurance for the cost of six months."  Yeah ok.

Apparently the same applies to my snowmobile.  Annual policy, not allowed to suspend all coverage but fire/theft during the off-season.

Then on the other hand there is my Fiero, who's liability etc. insurance I suspend the moment the salt trucks come out, and she stays parked until after the first couple of good rain falls in the spring.  No problems suspending all but fire/theft there.  It's effectively a seasonal vehicle, but by choice rather than by design.

If you ask me, this absolutely reeks of an insurance company which doesn't want to deal with seasonal suspensions/re-instatement paperwork, and absolutely loves the extra income from policies which will likely never see a claim during the off-season.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
FieroDough
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 09:31:45 am »

In an effort not to hijack Eric's thread...  Smiley

My FZ750 bike insurance DOUBLED last year, so the insurance company  managed to get 0 Dollars from me this year.

Brian, have you ever asked your insurance company to suspend your motorcycle's insurance over the winter?  If so, what was the outcome?

The last time I looked in to it, I was flat-out told "no."  The excuse was that it's an annual policy, and my agent blew a puff of smoke up my ass to the tune of "we used to do semi-annual motorcycle policies at the same rate, so you're getting a good deal at 1 year of insurance for the cost of six months."  Yeah ok.

Apparently the same applies to my snowmobile.  Annual policy, not allowed to suspend all coverage but fire/theft during the off-season.

Then on the other hand there is my Fiero, who's liability etc. insurance I suspend the moment the salt trucks come out, and she stays parked until after the first couple of good rain falls in the spring.  No problems suspending all but fire/theft there.  It's effectively a seasonal vehicle, but by choice rather than by design.

If you ask me, this absolutely reeks of an insurance company which doesn't want to deal with seasonal suspensions/re-instatement paperwork, and absolutely loves the extra income from policies which will likely never see a claim during the off-season.

You are right.. They are as crooked as it gets.

when I was shopping for insurance, agents bluntly told me they don't have time to give quotes now and they would get back to me in a few weeks!

Holly crap!

what if you called Rodgers or Bell and they said that to you?  

"Yes, I'd like to know how much cable would be at my new place please"  "Sorry, we are to busy to give out prices right now, we can get back to you in a few weeks, is that ok? " Heck no!!!

Bah... I have no idea how this can be fixed... but there will have to be a major revolt somewere...

GoFast85
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 09:43:14 am »

I asked for the policy to be suspended. I did not ask for decreased coverage over the winter as I do not need fire/theft or any coverage over the winter. I really have a hair up my ass for this private insurance scheme. Don't have this trouble in gov't insurance in Manitoba. Its really funny that in the 'ol US of A there rates are so cheap and they have private insurance there.
I guess when I try to apply for Fiero or bike insurance they will treat me as a new customer and give me the shaft.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  General Chat  |  Topic: Vehicle insurance a.k.a. gov't-endorsed organized crime « previous next »
Jump to: