Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 06:18:49 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: Transmission conversion « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Transmission conversion  (Read 1747 times)
egirard
« on: July 11, 2004, 07:34:39 pm »

Hi Guys,

I am doing an automatic to standard conversion on my Fiero GT v6 86 with an Isuzu transmission (the 4 cyl. 5 speeds transmission), but I have a little problem. After the installation of the crossover pipe (the Y exhaust pipe), I found out that the clutch level, (the arm that the slave cylinder push to release the clutch) is blocked by the crossover pipe Embarrassed.

The clutch level is the original one (the two pieces stamped steel). If I buy the one piece cast iron, will my problem be fixed? Will it be better to buy the V6 4 speeds instead of buying the original one (4 cyl. 5 speeds for Isuzu)?

Thanks for your help!!!
2ML67
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 07:40:59 pm »

Thats partially why Isuzu's did not come on V6's. It can be gotten around but I would reccomend getting an 84 model 332 econo 4 speed and everything will work fine and rev lower in high gear. Plus the muncie 4 speed is a stronger tranny. Dan 
FieroDough
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 11:53:00 am »

I am using the stock arm on mine. I just shaved it down to were the slave connects. (about 1.5") and it works fine now. Smiley

cheers!
Eric
egirard
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 08:20:07 am »

Thanks for the info. Grin

The arm is too rusted to cut, so I ordered a new one.

Two last questions:

After the conversion, have your speedometer shown the true speed?
Also, when you have modified your car, have you grounded the park-neutral input on the ECM?

Thanks again for your help! Wink

Eric
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 09:10:06 am »

Assuming that they're both Fiero transmissions, the easiest way to do ensure that your speedo/odometer is still calibrated correctly is to transfer the VSS which is in your automagic transmission to the manual.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
FieroDough
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 04:07:32 pm »

Thanks for the info. Grin

The arm is too rusted to cut, so I ordered a new one.

Two last questions:

Also, when you have modified your car, have you grounded the park-neutral input on the ECM?

Thanks again for your help! Wink

Eric

>> After the conversion, have your speedometer shown the true speed?

Yes, as i used the plastic gear that came with the VSS on the donor car. Wink

>>Also, when you have modified your car, have you grounded the park-neutral input on the ECM?

EEEEK! Gawd no! there is a park neutral safety switch positive and negative. The right way to do it: Run wires into the car, up to clutch switch, the Eric way: Posi to negative to complete the circuit. Just don't start the car in gear!

Cheers!
Eric

egirard
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 08:17:41 am »

It works ! Grin

Thanks to everybody for your help  Wink

A special thanks to Eric (FieroDough) for all information provided to me through this forum and by email.

Eric

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: Transmission conversion « previous next »
Jump to: