Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 09:39:52 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: 3.1 install ?? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3.1 install ??  (Read 3151 times)
chris
« on: May 13, 2003, 03:18:28 pm »

anybody put a 3.1 in a 1988. i have a free 1992 complete car 130,000 km at my shop.  mite install in my 88. any info.
CaddyRob
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 03:34:14 pm »

Just did a check at penocks, it should be pretty much a direct swap if you have a 2.8 in your car already. Just take a trip to Penocks fiero forum and so a 3.1 swap search! you will find a ton.
FieroBUZZ
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 06:07:40 pm »

Fieroflyer put a DIS 3.1 in his 84.  Sentinel now has the car in Ottawa.

Dan could answer any potential questions.
Fieroflyer
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 09:56:26 pm »

Biggest difference between 2.8 and 3.1 pre 1994 is the ignition. Fiero's use a distributor where the 3.1 uses an ignition module. I have heard of some rebuilding using 2.8 cast iron heads and special pistons, why I do not know. There are two ways to go in my opinion 1) install a distributor into the 3.1 and wire with Fiero harness and sensors. This can be done as a shaft is still where the distributor was for the purpose of driving the oil pump. Although clearance of the intake may be a problem. 2) get the 3.1 harness and ECM and rewire.
One important thing to note is that on the aluminum headed 3.1's the accesory holes in the heads have been moved requiring some modifications of the factory V6 Fiero mounts. Also the water pump is in a different location causing some problems with pulley configuration. If you plan on doing this I would recomend looking at Sentinel's car.              
Sentinel
Returns to active lurker status
Ottawa Fiero Member
MASTER FIERO

Wrapped in Horsepower, Driving into Fury......

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2003, 11:13:14 pm »

yup, I'm not around much till beginning of june but give me a shout and come on over and take a look.

We drive so fast , it seems as though , we take into the sky, the Fiero Machines in Harmony , Hear the Engines Cry
chris
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2003, 07:31:38 am »

it's a 4 cyl auto do i need a new rear frame.
FieroBUZZ
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2003, 07:39:21 am »

As far as I know the cradle should be the same.  You may need to drill or relocate to a different mount hole. I believe after 84, they're all prepped for any offered engine/tranny combo.  I have read where things seem a bit off due to using miss matched mount points.

I don't think it will be a huge problem and with Dan and Steve having the finished car you should have answers to any problems.

Fieroflyer
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2003, 01:27:41 pm »

No you do not need a new rear frame but you will need  the 6cyl mounts. Also if wiring as a 3.1 you will need the ECM and harness from the donor. It is just as much work to do a newer SFI 3.1 or 3.8 as the 92 3.1 isn't that powerfull but compared to a 4cyl you will find a big difference. Dan
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: 3.1 install ?? « previous next »
Jump to: