Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 01:55:28 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: 3.4 DOHC, here I come « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3.4 DOHC, here I come  (Read 2031 times)
CaddyRob
« on: February 10, 2003, 10:50:18 pm »

I was going to do a 4.9l caddy swap, but recently decided that its just not what I wanted! Milage would have been terrible and it just doesnt have the cool factor that I wanted! So I have decided to do an about face and go for a 3.4l DOHC, with 200+ hp, and 215 ftlbs torque, it should fly!

Anyways just thought I would let ya'll know of my new project. Hope to be finished by June 1st!

Later; Rob

Guess I need to change my name now eh?
fiero308
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2003, 09:13:24 am »

hi Rob
since you are not going to the meeting I will see if I can put my 3.4 files in some sort of logical order and email them to you; do you have high speed?
I think mostly they are straight word docs; relatively few pix and some of the stuff might be 'mislocated' - a process by which I copy something from the web and file it in the wrong folder.......... so it might not apply to the 3.4 at all or very much.  I am going to have to go thru the stuff.
Are you well-researched on this swap and topic?  If so, I won't impose this stuff on you but if not there might be some useful stuff here.
My payback would be learning from you as I am back on the bandwagon about the 3.4 tdc .... except I would want to Turbo it!!! (already have the turbo, so I HAVE to.... you understand, I am sure....
Let me know if you want this stuff;
Graeme
CaddyRob
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2003, 12:22:02 pm »

yes, I have high speed connection, so send all your stuff my way. I would love to do a turbo set-up, but I just cant see it happening too soon! I will do a few things, under drive pully, and depends on what year of engine I end up with, I may swap the new heads onto an older block. I hear that will pump compression up to 10:1, so premium Gas would be a must. but better flow and higher compression would give me a fair boost!

Thanks; Rob
fiero308
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2003, 12:32:41 pm »

actually the high compression ratio is the biggest single stumbling block that I have with that engine.....  I am committed to going the turbo route and that means I should be starting with about 8:1 or maybe 8.5:1 static compression before adding boost.  The earlier 3.4's had marginally lower compression but even they were high by conventional standards.  There are places to buy custom pistons but they are not cheap as you could imagine.  Still - I am going to look into it.  350 Chev con rods can be modified slightly to be used with this motor which is a bonus.  Other items are virtually non-available in anything other than stock.  
If your cam 'bearings' (to use the term loosely[i/]) are worn then your heads are worn out!  They don't put bearings in there, according to my info!  Amazing but true.  There are some other engines doing the same thing, too.
The throwaway engine, I guess.
Lots to consider but I am going to do that. Grin Grin Grin
-GP
Gizmo
FORUM MASTER
Moving UP!

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2003, 01:08:11 pm »

I've been out of the loop for some time now, and haven't had any one-on-one time with my cars for ages now.  Its making me do crazy things!  Roll Eyes

Anyways, a few months back I was bored and decided to go shopping.  Brought home a nice little 3.4 TDC!  From what I gather in my sleep, it can't wait to get its cams tuned and get behind that Isuzu in the daily driver.  Hopefully in a month or so, I can start on the dream garage and have it finished just enough to start working on throwing that puppy in the car....assuming I get days off work.  Should be done by Carlisle, if not Michigan for sure!

Secondly, I'm tossing the idea of redoing the programming on the OBD2 96-97 ECM.  The earlier ones just don't appeal to me.  Maybe I'm overly fussy but by my standards it has to be absolutely perfect.....  Shocked

Anyways, see you all at the meeting this Saturday!
FieroDough
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2003, 01:17:51 pm »

hey Nick,
Say we get together and figure out the best way to flash the GM cal-packs and get our own fuel maps setup for our swapps?

We can split on a prom writter. Smiley

cheers!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: 3.4 DOHC, here I come « previous next »
Jump to: