Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 05:20:42 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: Shocks and Struts « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shocks and Struts  (Read 2257 times)
can machine
Moving UP!

« on: April 29, 2007, 09:23:03 am »

What are all you guy's and gal's running for shocks and struts? I've come across Koni and KYB so far. Dose anybody have any experience with the Koni's? Are they worth the extra cash? I'm thinking of doing some autoX so I'm looking for something on the performane side of things.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 02:40:27 pm »

If you are really looking for performance, then the adjustability of the Koni's should be the only stat you really look at (ie. you can match them to your springs).  If you don't like the stiffness of your springs you can get new ones and adjust your shocks to match the new springs.

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
can machine
Moving UP!

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 09:09:25 pm »

Ya that's what I'm thinking, just not sure I want to lay out that kind of cash.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 12:43:57 am »

I ordered mine from shox.com (I think).  $550 I believe for all four.  If you know someone that can order direct from Koni it was $330 CAN.  Not too bad really.

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
can machine
Moving UP!

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 06:41:52 am »

Cool thanks, I'll look into that.

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 09:46:23 am »

I ordered mine from shox.com (I think).  $550 I believe for all four.

Y'know Aaron a small part of me cries every time you say that.  I ended up paying about $200 more from a local shop for just the struts.   Roll Eyes   Managed to get a good deal on the shocks at least though...

Well worth the investment IMO, even with the stock springs.

The only catch with the Konis however is that if you hack up the struts to make custom rear coil-overs, you just kissed the lifetime warranty goodbye.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 10:16:05 am »

I looking into doing coilovers.  I don't see any reason why you would have to hack up anything.  not if your putting on larger rims.

Yes however if you start playing with the rim offset.

Aaron

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 11:46:14 am »

We have no clearance problems with the OEM spring perches now; the wheel & tire sizes we're using leaves a close but comfortable amount of room between the inner sidewall and the perch.

...but in order to do a "traditional" coilover in there we either have to remove the spring perch to make room for a threaded sleeve & collar, or work with absurdely short springs.

Then again, get the spring length & rate right the first time, and there'd be no need for the sleeve & collar in the frist place.  No chopping.  Me like.  Hmmm...    Azn

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: Shocks and Struts « previous next »
Jump to: