Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 02:25:18 pm
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: Nose job « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nose job  (Read 9553 times)
GoFast85
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2003, 12:15:38 pm »

Still interested in the tray. Give me a call when you can.
fiero308
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2003, 12:19:13 pm »

ok ok; I GOTTA ask.........HOW did you get your wife to take a body repair course or is this the ultimate leg-pull? Grin
Now I can hold that up as an example to mine!!!! Great!!!
And if you need minor welding done (battery tray) AND it is within my abilities I am willing to do that stuff. If it is too fussy and skill-demanding (ie REALLY light gauge stuff, aluminum, stainless etc) then I am out of that picture, but for things I can do on my mig I am not so bad. Dad sent us on a Lincoln School of Welding course when I was a kid (...."you gotta learn a trade, son".....)  Not the ideal way to spend a summer but I am REALLY happy now......
I will tell you if it is something I can do or not.  Just so you (or anyone) knows, I would also ask for a bit of $$ to cover cost and consumables. Hope that isn't too cheap of me but I expect it would always be a fraction of what a shop would charge.  Just thought I would put that out there.
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2003, 12:59:04 pm »

ok ok; I GOTTA ask.........HOW did you get your wife to take a body repair course or is this the ultimate leg-pull? Grin
Now I can hold that up as an example to mine!!!! Great!!!

No, no leg-pulling involved.  She's for real.    Cool

Sacha has somewhat of a creative edge, and wants to get out of her current career.  Out of curiosity she took a handyman-level body repair course at Algonquin a couple of months ago, and absolutely loved it.

At the moment she's seriously considering taking more advanced courses, with the goal of eventually picking up an apprenticeship somewhere.  The ultimate goal being that of painting, even doing custom airbrushing jobs.

And if you need minor welding done (battery tray) AND it is within my abilities I am willing to do that stuff. If it is too fussy and skill-demanding (ie REALLY light gauge stuff, aluminum, stainless etc) then I am out of that picture, but for things I can do on my mig I am not so bad.

Nothing which requires a great amount of finesse I would imagine: 10 gauge steel, u-shaped bracket roughly 10" x 10" x 10", to be fabricated then welded to the frame so that it hangs below the headlight.

Dad sent us on a Lincoln School of Welding course when I was a kid (...."you gotta learn a trade, son".....)  Not the ideal way to spend a summer but I am REALLY happy now......  

I found the mandatory shop courses I took while in high school neat at the time, but at the time computers were neater.  Now I find myself sitting in a flagging industry, and with a hobby which could certainly make use of a number of "trade" skills which I had previously overlooked.   Undecided

I will tell you if it is something I can do or not.  Just so you (or anyone) knows, I would also ask for a bit of $$ to cover cost and consumables. Hope that isn't too cheap of me but I expect it would always be a fraction of what a shop would charge.

Too cheap  Huh  Not at all.  I never expect anyone to donate their time and materials to someone else's project!

Anyroad, if it sounds like something you would be comfortable doing, let me know and I'll get the exact measurements for you.  Would probably be two trays actually; Brian (GoFast85) got the bug for a similar battery setup when he was checking out my work-in-progress a couple of weeks ago.  Smiley

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
fiero308
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2003, 01:18:16 pm »

wow
if she loves it, that is the BEST possible scenario. She will be good at it. End of story. What a super development (for you and your car), too!! Too many people are into (business) things simply to pay the bills so having a partner who LIKES doing that.......wow again. You will be driving a work of art and have to FRAME it!! LOL!! Wink
re: welding - willing to try almost anything (mild steel related); 10 gauge is nice 'n heavy so easy to weld.  I am contemplating doing the same thing so there is a benefit here anyway.  I have already removed my rusted out battery tray remains.  Were you going to get the steel; was the shop going to do that?; did you want to cut the steel pieces yourself? It may be possible to enlist Aaron to get a piece (pieces?) bent (sheared?) at his work but don't know of course without asking.
Did you plan on that 10 ga. being the 'frame' too or is there a supplemental angle support etc? Is this meant to be an open top box or with some sort of lid (and therefore vent)?  I am guessing at the moment that it is a relatively short sided open top frame/box that you have in mind.  Some kind of clamp or tie-down for holding the battery in place.  So many questions!!!!
And finally you say you would weld it to the frame. That is fine of course but if I was to do it my welder isn't all that mobile..... Cool needs 240V and my bottle of gas.  Or you could make it so it is removable (bolted) if you want. Will it be possible to remove the battery once the box is in place?
finishing
my sandblasting cabinet is not done yet (gee what a surprise Roll Eyes ) but hopefully soon. I may just finish out my tool complement by buying that pipe and tube bender (expnsv!!! Shocked ) after all. I am getting busy again and that means less time for fooling around in the garage (but a bit more $ for toys!!!! ha ha!!!! Grin )  Might even decide this aft.
gp
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2003, 02:52:50 pm »

Ok that wasn't fair.  I had just about finished up my reply to you, hit the Preview button, and our gateway to the World Wide Wasteland went down.  Lemme try this again!

wow
if she loves it, that is the BEST possible scenario. She will be good at it. End of story. What a super development (for you and your car), too!! Too many people are into (business) things simply to pay the bills so having a partner who LIKES doing that.......wow again. You will be driving a work of art and have to FRAME it!! LOL!! Wink

Ahh, but it will be both framed and driveable.  It's just that in this case the frame is on the inside of the artwork, rather than surrounding it.  Grin

Were you going to get the steel; was the shop going to do that?; did you want to cut the steel pieces yourself?

I was going to get a shop to handle this side of it.  My cutting tools currently consist of a hacksaw & a Dremel.  Roll Eyes  Not to mention that I'm not sure where to purchase steel stock from.

Did you plan on that 10 ga. being the 'frame' too or is there a supplemental angle support etc? Is this meant to be an open top box or with some sort of lid (and therefore vent)?  I am guessing at the moment that it is a relatively short sided open top frame/box that you have in mind.  Some kind of clamp or tie-down for holding the battery in place.  

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.  Smiley

If you cut out the "floor" below a headlight and face the car, the box will hang down below the light, with its sides to the left/right of the battery, leaving the top, front and rear of the battery exposed, but shielded by the fender liner & the fascia.  I'm probably going to use one of CTC's universal battery tie-down kits to keep it from sliding about.

I have a photo at home which I can post later tonight which should make everything clear.

And finally you say you would weld it to the frame. That is fine of course but if I was to do it my welder isn't all that mobile..... Cool needs 240V and my bottle of gas.  

Not a big deal--the car is driveable.  I just have to keep the speed down so that the hood doesn't get blown off the roof.  Wink

Will it be possible to remove the battery once the box is in place?

Yup.  Either from above by first removing the headlight, or from below by removing the fender liner and extracting it through the wheel well.

finishing
my sandblasting cabinet is not done yet (gee what a surprise Roll Eyes ) but hopefully soon. I may just finish out my tool complement by buying that pipe and tube bender (expnsv!!! Shocked ) after all. I am getting busy again and that means less time for fooling around in the garage (but a bit more $ for toys!!!! ha ha!!!! Grin )  Might even decide this aft.

The only difference between men & boys, is the size of their toys.   Grin
« Last Edit: July 28, 2003, 05:26:44 pm by dguy » Logged

FieroBUZZ
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2003, 06:43:06 pm »

Don, if Sacha is interested, I have a shitload of airbrush magazines she could borrow.

I have a couple of airbrushes somewhere in a box   Roll Eyes  and a nice Italian compressor made for an airbrush.  I haven't done anything for a long time.

Gary
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2003, 02:46:07 pm »

I’m certainly not opposed to helping out.  I seem to have to tools for the job, and I have to design a bracket it time anyway.

I can bend the metal instead of welding it.  We also have these cute little nutcerts at work that hold really well, even set into ultra thin sheet metal (one of the things they were designed for).

I have attached a picture of the rear transmission bracket that I made this passed weekend.  It’s a long story, but long story short, I didn’t like the quality of the brackets I got from Rodney Dickman.

The bracket is 1/4” steel, one piece (no welds).  Bent on a brake press.

For the job I would recommend no thicker than 12 gauge steel or 1/8” 5052 aluminum (opinions vary).  It can be picked up at “The Metal Supermarket” just off Sheffield Road, in the west end, or at “Loucon Metal” in Nepean.  Or perhaps at my work (welders also available).

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
fiero308
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2003, 06:13:41 pm »

looks like a very nice piece and if my guess is right, very well made. There; you guys have lots of help available! Cool
GoFast85
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2003, 10:18:34 am »

Maybe we can bring the 2+ machines down to Barhaven for a Welding bee next week Grin
fiero308
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2003, 10:28:23 am »

sure; I'm game. the only stipulation ...... no there will be TWO..... is that we need to schedule a time so I can plan around it.
Cohen's is nearby and so is Loucon Metals.  If you have a design and measurements that would help - also if you at least KNOW what materials etc you want to use.

The OTHER stipulation? ..........
you are not allowed to comment on my garage  Tongue Roll Eyes

happy to help if I can.
Aaron; if you are on could you email me; I have a question for you; don't want to plug up things here; not really fiero related at all.
 Grin
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2003, 11:17:04 am »

sure; I'm game. the only stipulation ...... no there will be TWO..... is that we need to schedule a time so I can plan around it.

What, no drop-in clinics? Shocked

Cohen's is nearby and so is Loucon Metals.

Speaking of which--I ordered a 10" x 30" sheet of 10 gauge steel from Loucon Metals last week, and apparently it's ready for pick-up.  Aaron's sexy little tranny mount made my brain wander over into bend-to-shape, weld-in-place territory.

Aaron--see what you get for posting that photo?  Wink  Would you be interested in helping me "get bent" some time between now & Saturday?

you are not allowed to comment on my garage  Tongue Roll Eyes

You can't scare me--I've seen Gary's garage.  Wink

fiero308
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2003, 11:21:56 am »

HA!  Gary's a rank amateur; a beginner. The boy has MUCH to learn about messing a garage....... his is virtually EMPTY!!! Grin

(sound of drumming fingers waiting for Gary to read this..... LOL Cool )

anyway, let me know what is happening and if I can help - but I am pretty serious about the scheduling thing, just so you know.  Normally at this time of year you COULD just drop in, but it is crazy this year; don't know what is going on.......
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2003, 11:08:29 am »

I'll be at work tonight (Thursday) until about 10 or 11 p.m. working on my car.  You can come over anytime after 4:30 p.m.  We'll get you hooked up.  Apart from that I can give a tentative for Saturday morning but not a positive.

I'll need very accurate dimensions.  Within half a millimeter if possible, where the bends meet up with the body on opposing surfaces.

You can email me at aaronkemp_000@yahoo.com and from there I can give you my other email and contact info, or you can get my concact info from GoFast85, or fiero308.

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
fiero308
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2003, 11:25:45 am »

hi Aaron
sent you an email off list.  let me know what you think when you get a chance.
THX
gp
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2003, 01:54:19 pm »

hi Aaron
sent you an email off list.

...and another email from me.  Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  General  |  Mods  |  Topic: Nose job « previous next »
Jump to: