Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 02:20:02 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Buy/Sell/Trade  |  Parts  |  Topic: need 5 spd shifter and cables « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: need 5 spd shifter and cables  (Read 3977 times)
fiero308
« on: March 29, 2004, 02:39:36 pm »

I don't know if or what differences there might be among 5 spds.......Huh anyone???

Is there a difference between the shifters used on the getrag and isuzu?? I don't know (but it has to go on a getrag).

anyway, I will need a complete shifter assy and cables at some point so I am starting to look now.
I would REALLY prefer to remove this stuff myself so I can see how things go together and take pix etc.  So if you have one or know of one at a wrecker etc etc... let me know.  Any input is helpful!!
thanks
gp
FieroDough
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 05:47:25 pm »

I feel for ya.. I wanted to go with the getrag as well. but the parts are hard to come by. the getrag was only in 87 and 88 2.8L

the cables from isuzu are not compatible. The shifter itself is.

The cheapest cables i have seen are from Rodney Dickamn. $120 us each. Around here they are $300+ Each...

The isuzu also has better gering. Many have put it up against V8's no prob... We will see how mine holds to the 3800. the good news is the isuzus are dirt cheap.

cheers!
Eric
aaron88
Ottawa Fiero Member
OFC Post-a-holic

Kempvision

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 05:51:41 pm »

You can get custome length cables from west coast fiero for a decent price too.

Aaron

Your only limitations are set from within, by a lack of vision.  But to have vision alone leaves the process idle.  Ergo, without action your thoughts are worthless.
fiero308
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 10:22:40 am »

wow
something like $139US for a shifter cable........ seems like a lot for what it is.....
I already have a trans to use and now I am told I need a 5 spd shifter and cables.  I can't help but think that there must be SOME universality in cables; at least for ends if not lengths too..... so that this sort of stuff would be a bit cheaper.  A stainless steel e-brake cable is a fraction of that price and it could be argued that it is more "LIFE SAFETY" than a gear selector cable...... so I wonder what gives with that.

I am going to take a look at the 5 spd shifter that came out of the Lumina FWD car and see what it would take to 'bring the cables up from behind instead of going out the front, and then having them attach to the 'opposite side' of the shift mechanism going into the trans.  Theoretically it may work, or at least be worth a look....... depending on how complicated the movements are..... Roll Eyes

ANYway.
I am looking for only a 5 spd shifter (whole mechanism) and the cables too, (or at least ONE of them), to go on my 5 spd getrag (its a 284 but I will worry about adapting later).
THANKS for any leads!!
g  
2ML67
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 11:49:36 am »

I will be doing a major wreckers run on Thursday can see if I can find a shifter for you. If any one else needs anything let me know by Thursday and I will also see what I can do.
fiero308
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 11:55:00 am »

THANKS Dan!!
I don't know what is going make this easiest for me; if you find one just let me know  and I will go get it OR OR OR do you have a digital camera that you could take some good pix of the linkage/cable connections?  

My big concern is getting things back together a few months down the road.  Anyway
if you can keep your eyes open that would be great!!!! What part of the country will you be touring? Peterboro or other?  I saw one in a little yard Kingston way somewhere last fall.....
gp
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 03:53:23 pm »

I will be doing a major wreckers run on Thursday can see if I can find a shifter for you. If any one else needs anything let me know by Thursday and I will also see what I can do.

Front & rear side marker lights for the formula nose & tail would be nice if you happen to come across them.   Smiley

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
fiero308
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2004, 11:30:57 am »

hi Dan
did you have any luck in spotting a 5 spd shifter anywhere in your travels?
thx!!!!
GP
2ML67
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2004, 03:16:33 pm »

Found an 87 5 speed isuzu car in Peterborough shifter still in it they want $35 for it I can get it next time I am there if you like. Should be out wreckers hunting one day next week can look some more.
fiero308
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2004, 06:19:34 pm »

now this is where things get a bit cloudy for me; will the Isuzu shifter work on a Getrag 5 spd?  I guess I better ask the question on Pennocks and see what comes back - since it is a 284 not a 282 that I am putting in.
Thanks Dan
will get back to you asap!!!!
GP
 Grin
FieroDough
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2004, 06:57:08 pm »

the shifter WILL cables will NOT. So you still need the Getrag cables. Smiley

cheers!
Eric
fiero308
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2004, 09:11:38 am »

bumping this up; I still need a 5 spd shifter and cables altho the cable issue might not be that easy.
I TOOK OUT a 4 spd and am putting IN a 5 spd Getrag 284 - it came out of a front whl drive setup, naturally, so the shifter and cables are from that.  I am not hopeful that I can adapt them to this new (reversed) orientation especially when I don't know how a STOCK 5 spd would work....... ( Roll Eyes )

I would PREFER to take out the shifter and cables myself, but I guess I can't be picky.  That way I can take pics of linkages and setups and notes and stuff.  Maybe that will help my failing memory, maybe not.

If anyone knows of a 5 spd shifter that would work for me, PLEASE let me know; I still need one.  Thanks to anyone in advance!!
gp
fiero308
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2004, 08:22:36 am »

Dan; somehow I missed the last couple of posts on this; my notification was off for a bit and maybe that was when. 
I have gotten mixed reports on the shifter business; whether or not I can use an Isuzu shifter on a Getrag trans - some say 'no' and some say yes (as in here!) so I am a bit up in the air. 

Does anyone know for SURE that it would NOT work?  (Isuzu shifter with Getrag trans) I actually tend to doubt that GM would have made two different 5 spd shifters but maybe they did...Huh
CAuse I am STILL after a shifter........ Roll Eyes
So if you are doing that run up to Peterboro LMK and I will prob take it at that price just as insurance and on the hopes it will work!
and THANKS!
2ML67
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2004, 09:26:05 am »

I will get it for you if its still there. As far as working the shift pattern is the same only possible problem might be reverse light switch. I know on Isuzu's its on the tranny and on the 4 speed muncies its on the shifter, other than that should work. Cables angle at tranny is totally different between the two so I would definetely say no for cables. Only real way to find out is try for your self at least thats what I usually do as quite often the person giving info on the net has no clue and is working on very unreliable hear say. Dan
fiero308
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2004, 09:42:05 am »

........... Only real way to find out is try for your self at least thats what I usually do as quite often the person giving info on the net has no clue and is working on very unreliable hear say. Dan

Present company excepted, of course..... Grin  (I am sure you are one of the few who would know on this forum, actually...... so thanks for the input) ..... anyway.....
I am sure you are right, Dan; I will 'give it a go' and see what happens.  I just am quite unfamiliar with the workings of the shifter linkages on these but I am going to find out, aren't I?  Wink  That's OK. Appreciate your getting it; if it is not there I prob know of another one that I can get.  Thanks!
gp
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Buy/Sell/Trade  |  Parts  |  Topic: need 5 spd shifter and cables « previous next »
Jump to: